AMD Ryzen 9 3900X vs. Intel Core i9 9900K Performance In 400+ Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 9 3900X vs. Intel Core i9 9900K Performance In 400+ Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X vs. Intel Core i9 9900K Performance In 400+ Benchmarks

Given the recent AMD "ABBA" Ryzen 3000 boost fix, the upcoming release of Ubuntu 19.10 powered by Linux 5.3, here is a fresh round of AMD Ryzen 9 3900X vs. Intel Core i9 9900K benchmarks in a side-by-side matchup . It's just not any comparison but our largest i9-9900K vs. 3900X comparison ever: 112 gaming benchmarks and 321 system/CPU benchmarks carried out for our most extensive look yet at how these ~$500 CPUs are competing in this fierce race.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do I want to know how many hours this took?

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post
      Do I want to know how many hours this took?
      Over a week... Not too bad with PTS automating it all, but still time consuming coming up with the set of tests to use, going through and verifying all the results, etc.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

P.S. the 300+ benchmarks are also being re-run as well with "no mitigations" on each processor as a follow-up comparison....
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Over a week... Not too bad with PTS automating it all, but still time consuming coming up with the set of tests to use, going through and verifying all the results, etc.
          And I skipped right to the summaries and I was done in under a minute! :P

Comment

While I appreciate these benchmarks, their key finding is less about the CPU itself and more about the question whether or not the particular software is threaded efficiently. This shows in benchmarks know to scale well with cores, in which Intel gets blown out of the water.

Also, I like the separate summary for gaming and other benchmarks. Another interesting distinction would be synthetics (interesting but not noticeable by the user) vs. real work loads like compiling, rendering etc.

Comment

Excellent benchmark Michael. Glad to see real AAA game benchmarks vs just the open source games.

Comment

Pretty comprehensive stuff. That's a lot of data.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Well, now that you came up with the tests, I suppose you could just have them pre-scripted so you don't have to do that a 2nd time around.

Out of curiosity - how does the geometric mean work when it comes to comparing the "lower is better" vs "higher is better" graphs? Does it account only for the percent improvement over the other product? Because otherwise I imagine those results could start counteracting each other since they're "graded" inversely.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Out of curiosity - how does the geometric mean work when it comes to comparing the "lower is better" vs "higher is better" graphs? Does it account only for the percent improvement over the other product? Because otherwise I imagine those results could start counteracting each other since they're "graded" inversely.
                  For the geo means, the LIB results are 1/result, in order to have them all be higher is better.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
                    While I appreciate these benchmarks, their key finding is less about the CPU itself and more about the question whether or not the particular software is threaded efficiently. This shows in benchmarks know to scale well with cores, in which Intel gets blown out of the water.
                    It's also quite likely that the future versions of applications will focus more on threading, not the other way.

Comment

Working...
                    X