Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sends Out Initial USB 4.0 Support For The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Intel Sends Out Initial USB 4.0 Support For The Linux Kernel

Intel open-source engineers have sent out their initial patches wiring up USB 4.0 support for the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

*USB4

Comment

How I felt about USB in 2001:

How I feel about USB in 2019:

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        From a quick search I'm a bit confused but it seems the USB-C connector is guaranteed to be the next de facto standard supported by Apple, Microsoft, Android, Linux, basically anyone who matters. And USB-C can tell what it's running: thunderbolt, USB 2/3/4 etc, so basically we'll only need one connector for all the relevant standards.
        So if your PC has a USB-C connector it can support USB-4/Thunderbolt if proper software is installed I guess?

Comment

Don't you still need the controller (hardware) that understands the protocol?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Your thought don’t seem to be valid! USB has evolved magnificently over the years. We now have one connector that solves many problems.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              So if your PC has a USB-C connector it can support USB-4/Thunderbolt if proper software is installed I guess?
              No, you need hardware support. Just like with USB-A. An USB 1.1 device does not magically support USB 3 just with software, even if both use USB-A.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                And USB-C can tell what it's running: thunderbolt, USB 2/3/4 etc, so basically we'll only need one connector for all the relevant standards.
                USB-C is a connector specification. It does not define the cable.

Different protocols require different cable specifications (copper conductor number, size and shielding), and what is supported by the USB-C port on your device depends from the controller powering it. Now theoretically if it is advertised as a USB4 controller you should be sure it should support all protocols, but I'm suspecting it won't be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Your thought don’t seem to be valid! USB has evolved magnificently over the years. We now have one connector that solves many problems.
                  And create a bunch of new ones none asked for.

"is this cable good enough for going beyond USB 2.0?"
                  "is this cable actually able to deliver up to 100w?"
                  " is this cable actually a USB 2.0 cable with USB-C connectors so it's completely worthless for most intents and purposes?".
                  "What is this port even able to do?"

The moment where they unified the interface without providing OBVIOUS indication on the connector of what this cable or port is actually capable of, they started straying further and further from Zod's light.

(though to be fair, whoever invented the micro-USB for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 belongs on a cross too)

Comment

USB-C is the most confusing standard to date since you can no longer assume that a device will work with the connector, even if it fits. With USB 1-3 on the A-connectors you would at least be assured minimum USB1. Now with USB vs Thunderbolt, vs different charging, vs sound, display port, hdmi and what not it is not easy at all.

Does USB4 unify it all. I.E is a USB 4 capable device going to work with either another USB 1-3 or Thunderbolt device?

Comment

Working...
                    X