Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Xeon vs. EPYC Performance With Intel's oneAPI Embree & OSPray Render Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Xeon vs. EPYC Performance With Intel's oneAPI Embree & OSPray Render Projects

Phoronix: The Xeon vs. EPYC Performance With Intel's oneAPI Embree & OSPray Render Projects

With Intel seemingly ramping up work on their open-source OSPray portable ray-tracing engine now that they have pulled it under their oneAPI umbrella as part of a forthcoming rendering tool-kit, I figured it would be the latest interesting candidate for benchmarking of AMD EPYC 7742 vs. Intel Xeon Platinum 8280 performance. In addition, the Embree ray-tracing kernels are also being benchmarked as part of this performance comparison.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A little strange to see the 7601 lose so badly in so many of the tests. Those are the results I'd expect of a single 7601, not two.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      A little strange to see the 7601 lose so badly in so many of the tests. Those are the results I'd expect of a single 7601, not two.
      why? The newer epyc has double the cores.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

As well as 2x the floating point units IIRC?

Comment

Looking at those numbers....256 new threads and 8.57 FPS.

So, like, do those tools also measure in Frames Per Day for regular people with regular systems?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            I'm not questioning the performance of the newer Epyc; I'm talking about the old one. It has 64c/128t yet it's almost half the performance of the Xeon setup, which to my recollection has 56c/112t.
            For the record, I'm not questioning the Xeon's performance (especially where AVX512 is in use).
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 30 September 2019, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I'm not questioning the performance of the newer Epyc; I'm talking about the old one. It has 64c/48t yet it's almost half the performance of the Xeon setup, which to my recollection has 48c/96t.
              For the record, I'm not questioning the Xeon's performance (especially where AVX512 is in use).
              Well, yeah, it has more cores than threads. What kind of performance were you expecting?

The Epyc 7601 setup is 64/128 and the Xeon is 56/112 and the Xeon runs ~0.8ghz faster. I'd reckon the extra cycles the Xeons put out is what's giving them the edge against the older Epyc.
              Last edited by skeevy420; 30 September 2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Well, yeah, it has more cores than threads. What kind of performance where you expecting?

The Epyc 7601 setup is 64/128 and the Xeon is 56/112 and the Xeon runs ~0.8ghz faster. I'd reckon the extra cycles the Xeons put out is what's giving them the edge against the older Epyc.
                Also Zen 1 has an FPU that is half as wide...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Well, yeah, it has more cores than threads. What kind of performance where you expecting?
                  lol whoops, not sure how I missed that one. Actually, I screwed up the c/t count of the Xeons too. That's what I get for not drinking my coffee first...
                  Both CPUs have an all-core boost of 2.7GHz, so, assuming Michael's got sufficient cooling (which I think he does), they should both be about equal in speed. So, considering the 7601 also has 13% more cores, it's weird that it'd suffer such a drastic loss in performance. I know the IPC isn't as good on the AMD side but it's not more than 13% worse. But again, I know Intel has an advantage with AVX.

Comment

Now some up to date LLVMpipe vs OpenSWR numbers, please. - GREAT work Michael!

Comment

Working...
                    X