Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SystemCrasher
    replied
    Is kernel able to at least distinguish nature of CPU and understand current CPU is non-OoO for example, to not rely on that thing? Right now we already have enough of nasty "poor random" problems. It could be as bad as "I would guess your router's WPS PIN code in 3 attempts" or so - thanks to really low entropy levels and vendors ignorance to do something about that.

The prob is that on one side it rather convenient for usermode to just call kernel to get some random. If that turns to be bad though, it could probably cause a lot of pwnage in future.

- Usermode dev wants: "give me a lot of secure random, I don't care how".
    - Kernel wants ... to fulfill that request without blocking for a while, but it something that not to be taken as granted. Especially in VMs and embedded.

At this point there is chance kernel assumptions about security of random would mismatch usermore assumptions.
    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 02 October 2019, 03:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
    Point is: I'll happily take the performance of a first-gen Intel Atom, as long as it's still multi-core and 64-bit. The performance is a software and dataset issue.
    I would say that you settle for very little then. I mean the first generation Atom processors can achieve two instructions on cycle at best. Usually it's barely more than one instruction per cycle because it's not a great design from performance perspective. It's in-order microarchitecture that has hyper threading which makes it kind of even slower since threads are competing from the very limited amount of resources. Core 2 (and even Athlon 64 with optimal code) managed three instructions a cycle which means they can do practically twice as many instructions a cycle. Of course first generation of Atom processors are already almost twelve years old but their performance is more comparable to about twenty year old technology. Newer Atoms do slightly better since the latest of them can be compared to Core 2.

Of course, like you said, it really comes down to what level of performance find acceptable, i.e. what software and data you need to deal with. I would say that time has passed first generation Atom and it's not coming back. Also, they were rarely 64-bit or multi-core (and dual-core at best).

I just find microarchitectures interesting.

Leave a comment:

• linuxgeex
    replied
    Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
    Forgive my cryptography ignorance in my assumptions, please... but my understanding (from the "can we even trust Intel's hardware RNG?" discussions) is that the kernel combines together multiple sources, yes, and XORs them? Both strong and weaker, software- and hardware-based solutions. Does using speculative execution or jitter entropy weaken the results?
    The quality of the sources of entropy aren't really a big deal unless the consumer of the data is highly aware of the source behaviour, and is sampling at a high enough rate that they can accurately model the behaviour such that they can predict the values with enough certainty to successfully defeat the confidence another consumer has in the unpredictable nature of that entropy source.

Simple example:

You go to an amusement park and buy a raffle ticket.
    The number you get is one in a sequence printed on those tickets.
    Having no other knowledge, the ticket number you purchased is for all intents entirely random.

One of the amusement park staff has pre-determined the winning ticket number
    If they can ask people who are buying tickets what the number they bought was, then they can predict when would be a good time to buy tickets, in order to increase their chance of buying the winning ticket.

If a PRNG holds enough bits such that you can sample as much as you need without ever exposing enough knowledge of its contents to be able to understand what future values it will generate, then it is effectively truly random. There's 2 ways to achieve that, and I'll explain them in physical terms.

1) you have an infinite-sized pot of identically-behaving black and white marbles, thoroughly mixed up, and you dispense them as required, as bits, to form the size of requested entropy samples.

2) you have a pot with 1 million black and white marbles. Each time you take marbles out you put an equal number of marbles in, in the same proportion, and then stir the pot.

System 1 is a truly random system. There's no possibility of it coming up with a repeatable pattern. It cannot be predicted.

System 2, if you requested a million marbles at once, would be emptied and then filled and end up with the identical order of contents if it was 'stirred' in the same way.

If, with System 2, you only ever handed out 32 marbles at a time, and if once in 100 times you flipped a coin and used the result to change the order you put the black & white marbles into the pot, then over the course of the roughly 300,000 samples taken from the pot there would be 3000 random sources of entropy fed into it, blended throughout, each inter-dependent on the results of the other 2999 random bits of entropy. Even if the result of the coin flip was observed 50% of the time, there would still be effectively 1500 unknowable bits of entropy affecting the distribution of the black and white marbles in the pot, which is more than there are marbles in the pot, and therefore no number of samplings will ever reveal the behaviour, therefore its output cannot ever be predicted, just the same as the infinitely large pot.

So with enough samples of a poor entropy source, it's still possible to create a very strong entropy source.

You just have to develop a system that doesn't expose enough information to be able to model its behaviour based on its output and what is known about its input.

Leave a comment:

• mulenmar
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Imagine calling speculative execution a bug when it's the reason your CPU is not a first gen Intel Atom.
    "First-gen Intel Atom" CPUs were never the problem, performance-wise.

The problem is the heavyweight web pages -- why the **** do we need to download so much ECMAScript and huge images, pages weighing in at more than DOOM 1 each? -- and the excessive client-side processing and animations. And the utter b***s*** auto-loading, auto-playing videos -- didn't we learn the lesson from the <MARQUEE> tags and auto-playing MIDI files of the 90s? NOBODY WANTS THAT CRAP ON LIMITED DATA PLANS. If THEN.

OH, and the pathetic excuses for GPUs they were paired with didn't help either. I still remember the GMA500 my old Atom netbook had... PowerVR-based. Useless for anything heavier than a 2008-era webpage, and even then you had to turn down the YouTube video size to play smoothly. That was when the driver even worked, btw.

Point is: I'll happily take the performance of a first-gen Intel Atom, as long as it's still multi-core and 64-bit. The performance is a software and dataset issue.

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    The idea of using speculative execution for random is not a highly good idea. Has all the same problems as jitter entropy.
    Forgive my cryptography ignorance in my assumptions, please... but my understanding (from the "can we even trust Intel's hardware RNG?" discussions) is that the kernel combines together multiple sources, yes, and XORs them? Both strong and weaker, software- and hardware-based solutions. Does using speculative execution or jitter entropy weaken the results?
    Last edited by mulenmar; 30 September 2019, 10:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Who would have thought that in 2019 random number generation would be such a scarce feature that devs would scavenge for CPU bugs to implement it.
    The demoscene is known for doing these kinds of things often. They exploit hardware bugs/flaws and use them to the utmost.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Who would have thought that in 2019 random number generation would be such a scarce feature that devs would scavenge for CPU bugs to implement it.
    No there is a long list of stupid things used to feed random number generators with random values. There is a historic old one of reading unallocated memory of course when you run that code on a solution that zeros out unallocated memory it does not work any more.

The Linus Response is correct. You implement jitter entropy correctly you are not depending on speculative execution. Speculative can add more randomness to jitter entropy or in other cases less randomness.

The idea of using speculative execution for random is not a highly good idea. Has all the same problems as jitter entropy.

Leave a comment:

• patstew
    replied
    It seems a bit silly to be so suspicious of RDRAND because Intel *might* be able to predict its value, only to replace it with this where Intel very likely can predict its value.

Leave a comment:

• ermo
    replied
    If it turns out that the whole "speculative execution as a performance win (with craptastic security issues)" was really "preliminary research into cheap random number generators on modern CPUs", that's gotta be the most expensive "cheap" ever in the history of software and hardware so far.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Imagine calling speculative execution a bug when it's the reason your CPU is not a first gen Intel Atom.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X