Noctua NH-L9a-AM4: A Very Low-Profile AMD Ryzen Cooler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post
    I suppose cooler manufacturers sometime in the future will be adding graphene or carbon nanotubes to CPU coolers to increase heat conductivity and will switch to new materials with higher heat capacity. Aluminium has higher heat capacity (0.9) than copper (0.385), but unfortunately aluminium has lower heat conductivity (237) than copper (401). It would be very nice to enrich aluminium with material X to increase its heat conductivity so that the combined material aluminium+X can be used in coolers instead of aluminium&copper.
    Have you heard of this marvel of space-age technology called heatpipe?

Comment

Just some notes:
      • Knowing the temperature is somewhat pointless if we do not know the RPM (and thus the noise level) of the cooler. The coolers I have (limited) experience with are becoming audible at about 1100 RPM, so it would be nice to know whether the Noctua cooler is spinning at less than 1100 RPM when running Prime95 Small FFTs on all cores.
      • The benchmarks do not include Prime95 Small FFTs test which is (as far as I know) the best way to heat up a CPU.
      I have the same cooler on a Ryzen 5 1600, and it's more or less inaudible even when the CPU is fully loaded when compiling, although that's a 65w CPU.

I'd like to point out that Noctua also makes extremely quiet 40mm fans too. In general Noctua is one of the best if not the best worldwide in low-noise CPU fans.
      See here a ridicolous 21 x 40mm fan setup that is almost as silent as 2x 120 fans.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7DxXhWoliE&t=510

I don't have professional equipment so I can't provide Sone measurements, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Have you heard of this marvel of space-age technology called heatpipe?
        I believe you might have misunderstood the idea I wanted to convey. Sorry about that.

I meant: beyond (traditional) heatpipes.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

I have the same cooler on a Ryzen 5 1600, and it's more or less inaudible even when the CPU is fully loaded when compiling, although that's a 65w CPU.

I'd like to point out that Noctua also makes extremely quiet 40mm fans too. In general Noctua is one of the best if not the best worldwide in low-noise CPU fans.
          See here a ridicolous 21 x 40mm fan setup that is almost as silent as 2x 120 fans.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7DxXhWoliE&t=510

I don't have professional equipment so I can't provide Sone measurements, sadly.
          Note 1: In my experience, under load Ryzen 3700X (65W) has a significantly higher operating temperature than Ryzen 5 1600 (65W), with exactly the same CPU cooler.

Note 2: For many people, Noctua coolers and fans aren't a valid option unless they add other color schemes to their brown&metal color scheme such as black&metal.

Comment

Note 2: For many people, Noctua coolers and fans aren't a valid option unless they add other color schemes to their brown&metal color scheme such as black&metal.
            I despise people who use the PC as a goddamn doll.

That said, they also sell black 120 and 140mm fans with swappable angle rubbers of different color, with the "Chromax" product line. https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/chromax
            They also sell heatsink covers for their tower heatsinks black or white with swappable inlays of different colors, again with the Chromax product line. https://noctua.at/en/products/access...eatsink-covers

I meant: beyond (traditional) heatpipes.
            I've seen studies about using carbon nanotubes or other similar nano-sized structure as the wick material inside heatpipes, to increase dramatically the internal surface area, and thus the ability of the phase-changing fluid to absorb (or release) heat.

I don't think they will do away with the concept of phase-change heat transfer (heatpipe) any time soon. If you find a better material for heat transfer you can always scale up the phase-change devices too with it, so you end up with better and better heatpipes.

Comment

Working...
            X