Please help on Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz P9500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
    It's not supported i dont think in microsofts desktop os, but is in it's server versions. On linux you can just install the PAE kernel. it's an easy apt search and install...
    • Windows Server 2008 (32-bit only)
    • Windows Vista (32-bit only)
    • Windows Server 2003 (32-bit only)
    • Windows XP (32-bit only)
    • Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
    • Windows 2000 Advanced Server

All support PAE

Physical Address Extension (PAE) is a processor feature that enables x86 processors to access more than 4 GB of physical memory on capable versions of Windows.

Comment

Flash 10 does not use opengl accelleration for fullscreen with 64 bit. So it is not fully on par with 32 bit.

Comment

oh ok i didn't know XP and vista supported it... How come its not enabled by default in vista 32bit? Would stop alot of people complaining...

allright flash 10 on 64bit might not be quite as good, but I mean it still works pretty well, I'm now wondering wether i've ever fullscreened a flash video...
        Last edited by lordmozilla; 07 March 2009, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          No, you would only see visible speedup in intensive tasks. Ability to use more RAM and wider registers are the main advantages.
          The amd x86_64 arch is clearly going faster through the use of more and extended registers when using the 64 bit mode. Conversely the intel core 2 architecture is known (That's what I was told at least) to be a touch slower in 64 bit than in 32 bit mode.

If I don't mistake the problem of core2 is due to the fact that the so called macrofusion (you know this things that allows core2 processors to decode 2 x86 instructions at the same time) is not available in 64 bits mode.

Notice that there is no such problem with the Nehalem or barcelona architectures. Also, I don't feel my core2 E6750 to be that slow under FC10 (64bit). I have no benchmark results to show but I don't expect the performances to drop by --- lets take a large margin --- 10 %. So you can confidently erase your old windows 32 bits ; try the 64 bits version ; face a mountain of bugs and other problems ; and then switch to any reliable POSIX compliant OS :-).

Comment

Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
            How come its not enabled by default in vista 32bit? Would stop alot of people complaining...
            It would make a lot of people complain : PAE can be efficient for some kind of work but it can be very slow and inefficient. So unless you're a computer expert you don't want this unable. And if you're such an expert working with windows one expects you to be able to configure your OS according to your needs.

Comment

Working...
            X