X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setif
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    I probably don't understand how OS paging works here, but why do we need to increase from 256 TiB limit, when today, Xeon can only do 768 GiB and EPYC can do 2 TiB per socket? How are we in jeopardy of hitting this 256 TiB limit today or in the near future?
    Intel Xeon Platinum support 4.5TiB of RAM see https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-2-70-ghz.html

Leave a comment:

• GrayShade
    replied
    Are there any CPUs that support this besides QEMU?

Leave a comment:

• abott
    replied
    I probably don't understand how OS paging works here, but why do we need to increase from 256 TiB limit, when today, Xeon can only do 768 GiB and EPYC can do 2 TiB per socket? How are we in jeopardy of hitting this 256 TiB limit today or in the near future?
    Servers can use non-RAM storage as RAM cache. That alone is a reason to increase it to as large as is possible at any given time.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    On the surface this sounds like absolute insanity. We are talking about 64 bit processors here, why would you need more than two levels of paging. Maybe I’m missing something (totally possible) but with the two address ranges, virtual and hardware it would seem like the goal should have been to reduce the number of paving levels.

This is makes me wonder how this impacts ARM and Power. Makes me wonder if there is a good web site that goes into comparing addressing in the physical and virtual worlds for these processors.
    Originally posted by johannesburgel View Post
    You REALLY should google what paging is for.
    Originally posted by pkunk View Post
    Issue that 64 bit space is so huge that if you try to map it directly our with only few levels page table itself will eat up all your memory and much more.
    Actually, the comment on Power was on the mark. PowerPC uses hash-table paging so does not need to introduce a new translation layer just because that much memory could exist in a system.

Leave a comment:

• Space Heater
    replied
    How are we in jeopardy of hitting this 256 TiB limit today or in the near future?
    From the documentation on 5-level paging:
    Original x86-64 was limited by 4-level paing to 256 TiB of virtual address space and 64 TiB of physical address space. We are already bumping into this limit: some vendors offers servers with 64 TiB of memory today.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by Setif View Post
    Data is getting bigger and bigger. Some servers have Terabytes of RAM.

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    This also smells like Zen 3 hbm/3D die stacking prep to me.

Leave a comment:

• Space Heater
    replied
    Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
    [insert xkcd joke]
    Ah yes, the joke where people simultaneously think that core kernel scalability work is unimportant/not used, and that linux kernel developers had any role in Adobe flash support.

On the surface this sounds like absolute insanity. We are talking about 64 bit processors here, why would you need more than two levels of paging.
    So you're not going to even bother searching online as to why operating systems have multiple levels of paging, and instead you're going to assume that the kernel developers are simply misguided or insane?
    Last edited by Space Heater; 14 September 2019, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pkunk
    replied
    We are talking about 64 bit processors here, why would you need more than two levels of paging. Maybe I’m missing something (totally possible) but with the two address ranges, virtual and hardware it would seem like the goal should have been to reduce the number of paving levels.
    Issue that 64 bit space is so huge that if you try to map it directly our with only few levels page table itself will eat up all your memory and much more.

Leave a comment:

• johannesburgel
    replied
    We are talking about 64 bit processors here, why would you need more than two levels of paging. Maybe I’m missing something (totally possible) but with the two address ranges, virtual and hardware it would seem like the goal should have been to reduce the number of paving levels.
    You REALLY should google what paging is for.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X