Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sandy Bridge Core i7 3960X Benchmarked Against Today's Six-Core / 12 Thread AMD/Intel CPUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    Btw: that nice command is inverted. That's giving the process a priority of +12 (lower priority) instead of -12 (higher priority) which I'm sure is what you wanted.

I find "nice -n -12" to be easier to remember and more intuitive than the double hyphen (nice --12) and prevents accidentically using the positive number instead of negative.
    With normal user privileges, you can't usually use a negative niceness.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      With normal user privileges, you can't usually use a negative niceness.
      Yeah I have:
      Code:
      myusername  -  nice  -20
      in /etc/security/limits.conf which allows it to be changed. Also required for Feral's GameMode for it to change niceness.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        Yeah I have:
        Code:
        myusername - nice -20
        in /etc/security/limits.conf which allows it to be changed. Also required for Feral's GameMode for it to change niceness.
        I did say "usually". If someone doesn't know what they're doing, they're not going to accidentally swamp the CPU. But, if you give yourself permission, of course you can shoot yourself in the foot.

Edit: And, speaking of shooting yourself in the foot, I wouldn't go all the way to -20. IMO, -8 should be fine. Even if you have background work going on, just increase its niceness.
        Last edited by coder; 09-14-2019, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          I did say "usually". If someone doesn't know what they're doing, they're not going to accidentally swamp the CPU. But, if you give yourself permission, of course you can shoot yourself in the foot.
          Right on, makes sense for it to be the default. I only mentioned it in case someone else didn't know, as your post was clear since you used normal and usually.

Comment

That $999 Sandy Bridge would cost $1140 in today's dollars.

But also, the depreciation left of that same Sandy Bridge in 2019 is down to zero.

The average used price now is $99.

Since AMD didn't have anything to counter at the time, it's value was somewhat maintained.

Now that Zen is out, it clearly shows how badly Intel was overpricing even then.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
              Now that Zen is out, it clearly shows how badly Intel was overpricing even then.
              Huh? How does Zen show that?

Comment

Working...
              X