AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Benchmarks On 11 Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
    I'm surprised how the rolling release Manjaro/Arch is behind in these. It seems there's something wrong with how they build their packages. Doesn't make sense for newer to be slower in pretty much all tests.
    Maybe because Arch/Manjaro use 'schedutil' as CPU governor? I was surprised as I tought 'ondemand' is default for AMD CPUs (according to the Arch Wiki).

Schedutil is slower than ondemand:
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Which governor is used by the others distros?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

tell me, and I add the magic to #t2sde in a snap. Nice when big companies do not clearly publish their open source modifications and tricks, right, ..? Or do they?
      Intel clear linux is not using any magic. They just make use of modern compiler (usually they pickup the latest stable gcc quite early) with additional compilerflags suiting more recent cpus archs. They have multiversioning implementend especially if the cpu has to be destinguished by avx, avx2 and avx512. In addition to this they also build specified libs or build toolchains if e.g. avx512 is supported.Sometimes they also patch the software with avx implementations. Dont know if this is put upstream - dont know if package maintainer might like it if it is too arch specific.
      They always show the secret souce. If you want to make use of some of their optimizations just look into their build script of a particular package.

I did that couple of times for e.g. ocatve but im running on ubuntu 18.04. The improvements are significant.
      To be fair im usually more an amd buddy but what intel is doing with clear linux is really good also from the open source point of view. Proof is this benchmark ...even amd is gaining performance with it.

Btw AFAIK Solus also picked some of their patches.
      Last edited by CochainComplex; 13 September 2019, 03:09 AM. Reason: removed double sentence

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

Just to give you an idea, the mtune= used in Clear Linux points to the Skylake architecture. This gives you an idea of why this doesn't happen.
        Then why don't other distros gain the ability to recompile all your software after first install and turn the system super-speedy?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon
          Since Clear Linux do --with-arch=westmere and --with-tune=haswell and else do just --with-tune=generic
          Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
          Just to give you an idea, the mtune= used in Clear Linux points to the Skylake architecture. This gives you an idea of why this doesn't happen.
          As fas as I know, most benefits in Clear Linux come from using GCC's Function Multi-Versioning, not from specific march/mtune :
          https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/lates...rials/fmv.html

This is effectively having binaries containing multiple versions of functions, optimized to target different arch

I do no see what would prevent a distro using that. No need to deprecate ancient platforms, but at least the new ones are able to use their news instructions. Else what's the point of buying Intel/AMD cpus with avx2?
          Last edited by sheepdestroyer; 13 September 2019, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post

As fas as I know, most benefits in Clear Linux come from using GCC's Function Multi-Versioning, not from specific march/mtune :

This is effectively having binaries containing multiple versions of functions, optimized to target different arch

I do no see what would prevent a distro using that. No need to deprecated ancient platforms, but at least the new ones are able to use their news instructions. Else what's the point of buying Intel/AMD cpus with avx2?
            Yeah distros should probably do that for a few important packages, like libc.
            Also since many distros dropped x86, maybe they could split AMD64 into 2, old and new, though that might be too much work.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post

https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/lates...rials/fmv.html

I do no see what would prevent a distro using that. No need to deprecate ancient platforms, but at least the new ones are able to use their news instructions. Else what's the point of buying Intel/AMD cpus with avx2?
              true it is like puting a turbo in your car but not using it because it might cause additional troubles.

Comment

Working...
              X