Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Intel SVT-VP9 Performance Boost Across 10 Intel/AMD Systems

Phoronix: The Intel SVT-VP9 Performance Boost Across 10 Intel/AMD Systems

As a follow-up from this weekend's article about Intel's SVT-VP9 video encoder running much faster on AVX2 CPUs from both Intel and AMD, here are the results now before/after for ten different systems with this open-source CPU-based VP9 video encoder...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GREAT numbers.
    Now with AMD 2xxx and 3xxx, please.
    Thanks Michael!

Comment

I wonder why the 7980XE saw so little of an improvement. As a result, Intel basically inadvertently gave Epyc the lead.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I wonder why the 7980XE saw so little of an improvement. As a result, Intel basically inadvertently gave Epyc the lead.
        Because the 7980XE has AVX-512 so it was already taking the optimized route.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Because the 7980XE has AVX-512 so it was already taking the optimized route.
          Ah whoops I just saw that written in the article.
          I should read more thoroughly...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            They also made lots of their own CPUs usable.

Comment

It wouks be very nice to have a windows comparison to see if software can still be improved.

Comment

Flaburgan if there is a difference between windows and linux it would probably OS fault (or compiler maybe) and not the code itself.

Comment

SVT is one of Intels ongoing efforts to make "Software instead of Hardware" solutions to problems.
                  If they were serious about it they would add H264 already.
                  It would make SVT realtime encoding a possibility on a bucketload of CPUs today without eating the CPU to bits as in the h265 case.

So pretty please Santa. With sugar on top. Will you bring H264 to the SVT-suite?

Comment

My Bristol Ridge based laptop and desktop are happier now. Just as a reminder....AVX 2, otherwise known as HNI or Haswell New Instructions were introduced into said Intel's Haswell line of CPU's and continue to this day into Ice Lake.

However, AVX 2 only began to show up in AMD processors in 2015 in the Excavator CPU's which were the last of the Bulldozer line. So that would be.......

Carrizo APU
                    Bristol Ridge APU
                    Stoney Ridge APU
                    Toronto APU

And four desktop Carrizo based CPU's with their integrated GPU's fused off.

Athlon X4 845 ( based on Carrizo )
                    Athlon X4 940 ( based on Bristol Ridge )
                    Athlon x4 950 ( based on Bristol Ridge )
                    Athlon X4 970 ( based on Bristol Ridge )

Of course...AVX 2 has been in ALL the Zen processors from the start.

Comment

Working...
                    X