Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Linux CPU Frequency Scaling Governor Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Linux CPU Frequency Scaling Governor Benchmarks

Given the recent talk about the Schedutil CPU frequency scaling governor and its future along with CPU frequency scaling behavior in general on AMD Zen 2 processors, here are some benchmarks of the Ryzen 9 3900X when tested with the different Linux "CPUFreq" governor options.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did anyone encounter reboots during heavy load? My Ryzen 9 3900X / Asrock X570 Taichi (firmware 2.0) starts rebooting when CPU temperature reaches somewhere between 70°C and 80°C. For example when building Linux kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Did anyone encounter reboots during heavy load? My Ryzen 9 3900X / Asrock X570 Taichi (firmware 2.0) starts rebooting when CPU temperature reaches somewhere between 70°C and 80°C. For example when building Linux kernel.
      Haven't hit that behavior with stock coolers.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Haven't hit that behavior with stock coolers.
        What are your max CPU temperatures during heavy load? Also, this potentially can be Asrock specific issue for me.

Comment

Schedutil behaves really poorly, exactly as it was behaving years ago...

Comment

That's not even a thermally challenging application, as it is leaning on memory access a lot. Check your CPU mounting, and check your RAM stability.

Comment

I thought schedutil would do a little better, especially after reading the news today that it eventually becomes the default. Anyway, on Arch Linux it seems to be the default for AMD and it works well. For gaming there is gamemode and that will adjust the scheduler anyway to performance.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
                That's not even a thermally challenging application, as it is leaning on memory access a lot. Check your CPU mounting, and check your RAM stability.
                I'll run a test with lower RAM clocks on that. What do you mean by CPU mounting? Badly placed in the socket somehow?

For the reference, I run stressapptest to stress the RAM - it didn't reboot, but temps were lower (around 54°C). That's why I suspected, the above when building the kernel, it was a temperature related problem.
                Last edited by shmerl; 04 September 2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I'll run a test with lower RAM clocks on that. What do you mean by CPU mounting? Badly placed in the socket somehow?

For the reference, I run stressapptest to stress the RAM - it didn't reboot, but temps were lower (around 54°C). That's why I suspected, the above when building the kernel, it was a temperature related problem.
                  According to AMD the maximum temperature for 3900X is 95°C. My 3700X only hit that while forcing manual overclock in prime95 AVX2 on the stock cooler, as I was experimenting. It did not crash but reduced clocks instead.

After days of playing I found out that stock settings resulted in the best ST performance while having marginally worse MT than all-core OC (which reduced ST). With current BIOSes overclocking the CPU looks to be simply not worth it on Zen 2

Comment

no power usage numbers?

Comment

Working...
                    X