ASpeed AST2600 Support Coming To The Linux 5.4 Kernel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    This is a goddamn integrated KVM device. It is NOT consumer integrated graphics. They don't need 3D because their customers either don't need 3D or need so much 3D processing power that they are going to install dedicated cards to deal with it.
    really i really want to install dedicated PCIe cards to deal with it but in my point of view there is NONE

because in my point of view a closed source firmware and a ME/PSP DRM/copyprotection unit means: NONE.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
      ... Why do I get the feeling you don't own hardware that uses AST?
      - Gilboa
      really why should i buy something what just does not "work" if you read posts like this:

"In my case, I have one board with AST2400, and one board with a Matrox.
      (...)
      In my case, I ended up giving up on both of those boards"
      DanaG

tell me why should i do this? people who have this kind of hardware are very "sad" people.

why not just do what the people ask and then have a great product?
      and for example what DanaG ask is very basic stuff.
      what i ask is also very basic stuff.

it is pure ignorance if you teach people that the product is perfect(because of a very limited use case) if in fact it is not.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

really why should i buy something what just does not "work" if you read posts like this:

"In my case, I have one board with AST2400, and one board with a Matrox.
        (...)
        In my case, I ended up giving up on both of those boards"
        DanaG

tell me why should i do this? people who have this kind of hardware are very "sad" people.

why not just do what the people ask and then have a great product?
        and for example what DanaG ask is very basic stuff.
        what i ask is also very basic stuff.

it is pure ignorance if you teach people that the product is perfect(because of a very limited use case) if in fact it is not.
        I suggest you re-read my original post.
        In short:
        A. Server users (read: the ones that usually use AST chipset) usually remote manage their server. I doubt that I ever tried running a full UI console on any of my (many) AST based servers.
        B. Server users (see above) usually use complex hardware (be that 25/40/100GbE NIC, hardware RAID, SSDs, etc) that requires binary firmware.
        C. I never stated that it anywhere near perfect. I only stated that 99.9999999% of all AST users simply don't care as long as their web-based KVM works reliably...

- Gilboa
        DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 32GB, 6x2TB, GTX1080, F30/x86_64, Dell UP3216Q 4K.
        SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 6x2TB, GTX550, F30/x86_64, Dell U2711.
        WIN: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 5x1TB, GTX980, Win10Pro.
        LAP: ASUS Strix GL502V, i7-6700HQ, 32GB, 1TB+256GB, 1070M, F30/x86_64.

Comment

Working...
        X