X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• itoffshore
    replied
    Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
    Schedutil is great if you enjoy stuttering in games.
    Thanks for this - switching to the performance governor fixed stuttering with a 2070 Super - see more details here.

previously schedutil was fine with a Rx 570 8gb passthrough (& seemed to actually run better than the performance governor on Ryzen 3700x)

I think this is related to message signal interrupts on Nvidia GPUs

2021 update - using schedutil (Arch Linux default) instead of the performance governor gives me 10 FPS more in the hitman 2 benchmark
    Last edited by itoffshore; 25 July 2021, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• abott
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post

Only that AMD CPPC will be same as AMD DAL/DC Firstly rejected and then a accepted
    No chance of that for something so miniscule as scheduling and freq scaling. Improve what exists, or die.

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by amdtesterman View Post

yes, you have the reason in that side.. but I don't know if schedutil can improve so much because seeing the benchs you had posted with different governors...
    I don't know if linux kernel mantainers are "too" optimistic"
    I hope Linux kernel maintainers are extremely pessimistic, performance and security paranoid.

On the other hand, I consider Linux kernel scheduler needs to hugely improve in an urgent manner these days.

Leave a comment:

• amdtesterman
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

P-State was merged many years ago now, prior to Schedutil being in the kernel.
    yes, you have the reason in that side.. but I don't know if schedutil can improve so much because seeing the benchs you had posted with different governors...
    I don't know if linux kernel mantainers are "too" optimistic"

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Yeah, but Performance doesn't scale the CPU at all, it just stays at full clock. That's not a valid comparison at all.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by amdtesterman View Post
    The question is why not to say the same to intel with intel pstate. Is my only one question. Because I dude amd code is so different from intel ones but the old age that have intel ones
    P-State was merged many years ago now, prior to Schedutil being in the kernel.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Well that explains a lot about AMD's testing procedures

DarkFoss I don't have any stuttering issues and I pretty much stick to schedutil. Granted that I also run my games with nice --10 and, anecdotally, I seem to have better response and less lag out of programs ran with nice --5 to --10 since -10 is what my user limits are set at.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Fodrek
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post

What are you saying. I cannot understand you. Please elaborate, you don't need to do broken quoting of everything.

Only that AMD CPPC will be same as AMD DAL/DC Firstly rejected and then a accepted

Leave a comment:

• amdtesterman
    replied
    The question is why not to say the same to intel with intel pstate. Is my only one question. Because I dude amd code is so different from intel ones but the old age that have intel ones

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied
    Sounds to me like AMD can still rework their CPPC patches to work inside schedutil instead of being a separate governor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X