Eventually "Schedutil" Could Replace Linux's Existing CPU Scaling Governors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that explains a lot about AMD's testing procedures

DarkFoss I don't have any stuttering issues and I pretty much stick to schedutil. Granted that I also run my games with nice --10 and, anecdotally, I seem to have better response and less lag out of programs ran with nice --5 to --10 since -10 is what my user limits are set at.

Comment

Originally posted by amdtesterman View Post
      The question is why not to say the same to intel with intel pstate. Is my only one question. Because I dude amd code is so different from intel ones but the old age that have intel ones
      P-State was merged many years ago now, prior to Schedutil being in the kernel.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yeah, but Performance doesn't scale the CPU at all, it just stays at full clock. That's not a valid comparison at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

P-State was merged many years ago now, prior to Schedutil being in the kernel.
          yes, you have the reason in that side.. but I don't know if schedutil can improve so much because seeing the benchs you had posted with different governors...
          I don't know if linux kernel mantainers are "too" optimistic"

Comment

Originally posted by amdtesterman View Post

yes, you have the reason in that side.. but I don't know if schedutil can improve so much because seeing the benchs you had posted with different governors...
            I don't know if linux kernel mantainers are "too" optimistic"
            I hope Linux kernel maintainers are extremely pessimistic, performance and security paranoid.

On the other hand, I consider Linux kernel scheduler needs to hugely improve in an urgent manner these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post

Only that AMD CPPC will be same as AMD DAL/DC Firstly rejected and then a accepted
              No chance of that for something so miniscule as scheduling and freq scaling. Improve what exists, or die.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
                Schedutil is great if you enjoy stuttering in games.
                Thanks for this - switching to the performance governor fixed stuttering with a 2070 Super - see more details here.

previously schedutil was fine with a Rx 570 8gb passthrough (& seemed to actually run better than the performance governor on Ryzen 3700x)

I think this is related to message signal interrupts on Nvidia GPUs

2021 update - using schedutil (Arch Linux default) instead of the performance governor gives me 10 FPS more in the hitman 2 benchmark
                Last edited by itoffshore; 25 July 2021, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X