No announcement yet.

AMD Firmware Update To Bring Boost Performance Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thing it's just for Boost. I plan to stay on 1.0.0.3AB, even when my 3950X will arrive.
    I already have my PCIe gen 4 SSD installed on my X470 board...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

And how do you check that under Linux exactly? Only HWINFO64 and Windows utilities alike show this info. I would like you to post a HWiNFO64 screenshot with CPU sensors on it, so that I won't have to call you a liar.
      turbostat (I've mentioned that). It is a kernel utility that reads the values from MSR directly, not sure how HWINFO64 can do better. And I don't have Windows since 1999 (Win98 was the last version I've dual-booted), sorry.

I've re-checked the power consumption yesterday and PkgWatt is sitting around 11-11.5 W actually. However, I've enabled PBO, connected several peripherals and overclocked memory slightly since the last time I checked (all combined could potentially attribute additional 3 W, I think). It is more than I've said from the memory, but nevertheless is less than 20 W And one of my drives (1.92 TB SSD) consumes ~7 W at idle, quite comparable

Comment

Originally posted by barti_ddu View Post

turbostat (I've mentioned that). It is a kernel utility that reads the values from MSR directly, not sure how HWINFO64 can do better. And I don't have Windows since 1999 (Win98 was the last version I've dual-booted), sorry.

I've re-checked the power consumption yesterday and PkgWatt is sitting around 11-11.5 W actually. However, I've enabled PBO, connected several peripherals and overclocked memory slightly since the last time I checked (all combined could potentially attribute additional 3 W, I think). It is more than I've said from the memory, but nevertheless is less than 20 W And one of my drives (1.92 TB SSD) consumes ~7 W at idle, quite comparable
        turbostat is a utility for Intel CPUs written by an Intel employee. I really doubt it properly supports Ryzen CPUs if it all.

Meanwhile pretty much all the screenshots of HWiNFO64 posted on the Internet, the utility which indeed properly supports Ryzen CPUs shows ~17W at idle as a bare minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
          If you are not satisfied, you can always buy something else.
          An apologist has come and received a good chunk of likes from narrow-minded AMD fanboys.

AMD had this CPU architecture in development for over four years. They could have added the required kernel support months if not years before launch just like Intel is doing for its unreleased CPUs all the time.

But apologists don't care about good practices and good reasoning - they only care about saving the face.

The RDRAND bug was nothing to write home about - the issue was quickly identified and solved in no time.

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post

This dude is a troll. The x570 launch has been very welcomed by most in the industry. Every new chipset and CPU release has a few teething issues, but they will eventually get resolved. 12 core equal to greater IPC chips being sold at the same price as the 9900k? It's amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on the 3950x sometime this month.
          Pointing out existing valid issues is not trolling, poor obtuse AMD bigot.

Also, I don't know by whom it was welcomed. Go peruse dozens of tech forums on the Internet and check reddit/AMD. Many people are not exactly excited by the Ryzen 3000 launch.

Also, go check MSI forums: people en masse are mourning over their B450 motherboards many of which can barely work with Ryzen 3000 CPUs despite the promises that this chipset 100% supports newer CPUs.

You must not say bad things about an underdog, right? Fuq no. When I see issues I speak them out.
          Last edited by birdie; 04 September 2019, 04:21 AM.

Comment

turbostat is a utility for Intel CPUs written by an Intel employee. I really doubt it properly supports Ryzen CPUs if it all.
            It does (it's nothing fancy to read CPU registry if You know topology). It even supports hygon processors (as can be seen from its source code).

Comment

It does (it's nothing fancy to read CPU registry if You know topology). It even supports hygon processors (as can be seen from its source code).
              So go post its output then and show the value of PkgWatt.

Comment

So go post its output then and show the value of PkgWatt.
                I've already said that it is 11-11.5 W after enabling PBO, connecting multiple power-hungry drives and mild RAM overclock. Or do You need a screenshot?

Comment

I've already said that it is 11-11.5 W after enabling PBO, connecting multiple power-hungry drives and mild RAM overclock. Or do You need a screenshot?
                  You're lucky then. I don't get readings below 17W even if I am in a text console without running an X.org session. What's your CPU exactly?

Comment

You're lucky then. I don't get readings below 17W even if I am in a text console without running an X.org session. What's your CPU exactly?
                    Ryzen 5 3600 (100-000000031, non-X), Asrock x370 Taichi (5.80 bios), G.Skill Flare X 2x8GB (CL14) @ 3333 MHz 1.37 V.

BIOS settings are almost all stock (except RAM, PBO, disabled security chip and enabled VT/IOMMU support), I don't have much spare time nowdays

Comment

Working...
                    X