Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Power Usage Is Running Measurably Higher On Linux Than Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

I have not found a X470 board that I class as decent ...
    MSI x470 gaming pro carbon has gotten a lot of praise over the years. I don't have one, so can not confirm.

Comment

micheal do you have any means to directly measure the power draw over the 12 Volt 8-pin connectors?
      Granted this wouldn't give the full CPU power (since some power is also drawn over the MB), but it would give a much better comparison. Since external factors, such as chipset, fan (-curves), graphic card, usb-devices, etc. can be excluded.

Would also be helpful for a better Intel vs AMD comparisons.

I'm using the Mooshimeter for such tasks, but it doesn't seem to be available atm :-(...

Comment

Michael Why is 3900X singled out? This doesn't look like the kind of problem that would be confined to one particular SKU.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
          MSI x470 gaming pro carbon has gotten a lot of praise over the years. I don't have one, so can not confirm.
          I don't understand why but the x470 boards are missing the bios/firmware flash button in MSI yet MSI B450 has it. This is kind of important if you will need to update bios and have a power outage as the MSI B450 boards will recover by the button and the MSI x470 board bricks so you required flash writers to fix.

It should be possible to make x470 board with a bios flash button so its brick proof but no one has. I am not asking for the button to be on the outside of case either. Just be a default feature always provided by some means. Heck I would not care if was just a jumper that you had to move the reset button or equal to make it use-able at least it would mean if bricked due to wrong firmware it simple fix. Its this missing feature that makes me look at the x470 boards and go why is this missing.

Its also future proofing. If cpu dies a year or 2 down the track you may not have the right firmware for the replacement cpu in the board. Yes chip dead means you need to be able to update firmware without cpu/ram installed.

I am not really after that much. Bios flash buttons/jumper need to come default feature. Replaceable/no fans on motherboards also need to come default feature.

People like me don't buy motherboards often we run systems for 10+ years. I am replacing a i3 and motherboard at the moment that was bought in 2007 the machine served me well motherboard physically cracked it has been mounted slightly wrong when new. Not likely I need a fast machine for information research. Of course 5 year old machine is moving into that 10+ year old machine role and the new machine is coming a work one.

So durability and resistance to bricking means more to me than RGB and other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
            I don't understand why but the x470 boards are missing the bios/firmware flash button in MSI yet MSI B450 has it. This is kind of important if you will need to update bios and have a power outage as the MSI B450 boards will recover by the button and the MSI x470 board bricks so you required flash writers to fix.
            I did not realize that you can recover a bricked board with this.
            Thought that this function would be bricked as well.
            I use a UPS when upgrading BIOS.

Seems your options are limited/expensive:
            We overview all B450, X470 & X370 motherboards with USB BIOS Flashback built-in that are compatible with Ryzen Zen 2 processors.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
              I did not realize that you can recover a bricked board with this.
              Thought that this function would be bricked as well.
              The function should be in a board rom microcontroller if it implemented well. Of course not all vendors have implemented it well. So I don't recommend skipping out on the UPS. I have had the horrible bad luck of using UPS and having my power atx power-supply fuse blow mid flash. So anything that gives me a extra chance of saving a board without having to break out writers interests me.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                It's always the same story with new hardware and Linux. You should avoid buying the former or don't use the latter at least for half a year before all the bugs are ironed out.

Right now I have a Ryzen 3000 system and
                • I can't get CPU temperature in Linux by default (I manually patched kernel 5.2 to get the k10temp driver working - how many users will do that?)
                • lm-sensors doesn't see any sensors on my motherboard (there are two HW monitoring chips: one is detected but doesn't work, the other one is not supported at all)
                • CPU temperature is a lot higher than in Linux (I'm talking about idle mode)
                • Multicore CPU performance is quite lower than in Windows
                And even in Windows 10 Ryzen 3000 is far from what I'd call stable and feature-complete.
                Sensors not working is hardly a major concern, and the performance delta you claim is unsubstantiated as far as I can tell. Can you provide some benchmarks showing that Zen 2 performs significantly better on Windows than on linux?

Comment

Working...
                X