Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Power Usage Is Running Measurably Higher On Linux Than Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mumar1 View Post
    There is a lot of strange things going on with Ryzen 3000 under Linux, my 3900X needs 41 s for c-ray on Ubuntu 19.10 and 52 s on Ubuntu 18.04.3 both with kernel 5.3.0 rc6
    did you also replaced the linux-firmware package (or what ever its called in ubuntu) ?

Comment

Originally posted by partizann View Post

did you also replaced the linux-firmware package (or what ever its called in ubuntu) ?
      No, I didn´t

Comment

Tip: Powertop can tell you if tweakables like sata link power management are not enabled.
        Last edited by andreano; 30 August 2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Is it the CPU or the motherboard?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            [*]Multicore CPU performance is quite lower than in Windows
            [Citation needed]
            Let me guess, you're comparing 2019 Windows to some LInux distribution release that is >1 year old.

By the way the crappy hardware support you're complaining about is AMD's fault along with motherboard vendors not providing specifications (or better yet, drivers too) to read their sensors.

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
              Is it the CPU or the motherboard?
              My guess would be the motherboard. Maybe Michael can try testing an older non-x570 board and see if it shows the same behavior with the 3900x cpu.

Comment

The kind of content that got me to join premium. Thank you for investigating. Looking forward to the results.

Comment

Originally posted by bezirg View Post

I think these power-usage graphs must only be interpreted together with the perfomance graphs of 3900x for Linux vs Windows: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...0-ubuntu&num=7 . Since AMD 3900x (and any high-core CPU) performs on average better on Linux versus Windows, it just may be the case that windows do not push the CPU to its capabilities, and instead idling/throttling on lower wattages.
                  Ahaha, nice joke
                  I bet your theory is wrong, most probably there's something related to the chipset, pci-e power management, ASPM or whatever (or a mixture of things) which is preventing the system to consume less energy during idle periods

Comment

Originally posted by bezirg View Post

I think these power-usage graphs must only be interpreted together with the perfomance graphs of 3900x for Linux vs Windows: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...0-ubuntu&num=7 . Since AMD 3900x (and any high-core CPU) performs on average better on Linux versus Windows, it just may be the case that windows do not push the CPU to its capabilities, and instead idling/throttling on lower wattages.
                    Performance per Watt graphs are what one should really be comparing ...
                    Last edited by Raka555; 30 August 2019, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      It's always the same story with new hardware and Linux. You should avoid buying the former or don't use the latter at least for half a year before all the bugs are ironed out.

Right now I have a Ryzen 3000 system and
                      • I can't get CPU temperature in Linux by default (I manually patched kernel 5.2 to get the k10temp driver working - how many users will do that?)
                      • lm-sensors doesn't see any sensors on my motherboard (there are two HW monitoring chips: one is detected but doesn't work, the other one is not supported at all)
                      • CPU temperature is a lot higher than in Linux (I'm talking about idle mode)
                      • Multicore CPU performance is quite lower than in Windows
                      And even in Windows 10 Ryzen 3000 is far from what I'd call stable and feature-complete.
                      That's why one should use an x470 motherboard or maybe even B450.
                      I hated the idea of a chipset fan, so I got an ASUS Strix X470-f (https://github.com/electrified/asus-wmi-sensors) for my 3700X:

asuswmisensors-isa-0000
                      Adapter: ISA adapter
                      CPU Core Voltage: +0.18 V
                      +12V Voltage: +12.03 V
                      +5V Voltage: +4.96 V
                      3VSB Voltage: +3.31 V
                      CPU Fan: 960 RPM
                      Chassis Fan 1: 0 RPM
                      Chassis Fan 2: 0 RPM
                      Chassis Fan 3: 0 RPM
                      AIO Pump: 0 RPM
                      Water Pump: 0 RPM
                      CPU OPT: 0 RPM
                      CPU Temperature: +30.0°C
                      Motherboard Temperature: +31.0°C
                      Chipset Temperature: +44.0°C

asus-isa-0000
                      Adapter: ISA adapter
                      cpu_fan: 0 RPM

amdgpu-pci-0b00
                      Adapter: PCI adapter
                      vddgfx: +0.93 V
                      fan1: 1 RPM (min = 0 RPM, max = 3500 RPM)
                      temp1: +35.0°C (crit = +89.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                      power1: 9.00 W (cap = 240.00 W)

Comment

Working...
                      X