Intel Core i9 9900K vs. AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i9 9900K vs. AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Linux Gaming Performance

Phoronix: Intel Core i9 9900K vs. AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Linux Gaming Performance

Here is our most extensive look yet at the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Linux gaming performance up against the Intel Core i9 9900K while testing the latest Linux drivers with the Radeon RX 5700 XT as well as the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 and RTX 2080 graphics cards. Beyond testing all the benchmark-friendly Linux-native and Steam Play OpenGL/Vulkan games, the performance-per-Watt and performance-per-dollar of the tested systems are also being covered.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

they were equipped with the same memory (2 x 8GB GSKILL DDR4-32600)
    Pretty awesome memory.

Comment

Default Wraith cooler isn't the best option for Ryzen. Zen 2 boost is directly dependent on the temperature. Basically, the better is the cooling, the better it performs. So average cooler is hampering Ryzen 9 3900X. If you get something like high end Noctua NH-D15 or water cooling even, you'll get much better results.

Some good read on this: http://apollo.backplane.com/2019-Zen2Missive.html
      Last edited by shmerl; 29 August 2019, 12:42 PM.

Comment

So in a nutshell, there is no perceivable gaming performance difference between i9 9900k and Ryzen 3900x. The single digit difference in frame rates +/- for any given game are so small they could not be perceived by a human in a blind test. In this situation, only a fool would pay the intel tax.

Comment

Very Nice. AMD+AMD makes great a great gaming setup that really, really competes with Intel+Nvidia.

I'll take the extra 4 cores & 8 threads over the .3ghz turbo boost difference any day of the week. I learned my lesson on that with my dual x5687 setup

**looks at i9-9900X price** holy $h!t , those are some of the most expensive 2 cores I've seen in a while. Were they inspired by phone storage prices

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            In this situation, only a fool would pay the intel tax.
            Well, in real life, only the gamers can pick their hardware. Most corporations only buy Intel. It doesn't matter how it performs. The admins often hate AMD hardware.

Comment

Thanks Michael!
              With one exception of Hitman game, at least when looking at Linux, from those tests it's evident that for gaming, 3900x is best paired with AMD card rather than NVidia card.
              Nvidia driver seems to be almost universally (except Hitman) gimping Ryzen performance (or AMD drivers allowing Ryzen stretch its legs better). NVidia driver not having CCX aware threading model?
              Last edited by reavertm; 29 August 2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                Well, in real life, only the gamers can pick their hardware. Most corporations only buy Intel. It doesn't matter how it performs. The admins often hate AMD hardware.
                FUD and nonsense. Move along.

Comment

What's up with the weird performance loss for the 3900X+2070?

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                    Thanks Michael!
                    With one exception of Hitman game, at least when looking at Linux, from those tests it's evident that for gaming, 3900x is best paired with AMD card rather than NVidia card.
                    Nvidia driver seems to be almost universally (except Hitman) gimping Ryzen performance (or AMD drivers allowing Ryzen stretch its legs better). NVidia driver not having CCX aware threading model?
                    I think that conclusion would be wrong based on these benchmarks. The AMD card was very close on most tests with both CPUs but this could be driver overhead, or by running tests at 1440P and 4K it could be the video card bottle necking. The Hitman benchmark was OpenGL and the open source OpenGL driver is well optimized. This could be why the Intel CPU pushed more fps than the AMD CPU. More testing at lower resolutions/settings would need to be done to back up your statements.

Comment

Working...
                    X