X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by muncrief View Post
    I'm finally replacing my aging FX-6300 based system with Ryzen, and ordered a Ryzen 7 3700X as part of the new system. It's on back order and won't be here until September 3rd, but now I'm confused as to whether or not it's going to work with Linux. I thought all the problems had been solved but after looking around I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information. The motherboard is an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus, and the memory is the CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8).

I know this article is about a different CPU, but I thought I'd use the superior brains here to give me a definitive answer. So does anyone know if it's going to work with Manjaro? And if not, what will I need to do to make it work?
    It should work fine as long as you have a BIOS update for your motherboard to correct the systemd/RdRand problem (or if Majaro ISO patched their systemd, I recall seeing something about some RC). But long story short if you look up your motherboard BIOS/firmware info and see some new release within the past two weeks or so, you are likely to be in good shape paired with a 3700X.

Leave a comment:

• muncrief
    replied
    I'm finally replacing my aging FX-6300 based system with Ryzen, and ordered a Ryzen 7 3700X as part of the new system. It's on back order and won't be here until September 3rd, but now I'm confused as to whether or not it's going to work with Linux. I thought all the problems had been solved but after looking around I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information. The motherboard is an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus, and the memory is the CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8).

I know this article is about a different CPU, but I thought I'd use the superior brains here to give me a definitive answer. So does anyone know if it's going to work with Manjaro? And if not, what will I need to do to make it work?
    Last edited by muncrief; 23 August 2019, 08:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon

He, he, as you see that is total different market, as people buy this APUs exactly to game actually
    Why? It performs much worse in games than any dedicated GPU.

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied

It is questionable what percentage of people buy high end like let say i9 9900K and plan not to use add in card?

I guess percentage is single digit low, but i could be wrong

I think it depends. For non-gaming use, the integrated Vega 11 is more than enough, so why should you need to buy a separate graphics card?

And if you are gaming, it still makes sense to have the integrated graphics run your desktop and apps, and the dedicated GPU could then be dedicated to just running the game as well as it can.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied

It is questionable what percentage of people buy high end like let say i9 9900K and plan not to use add in card?

I guess percentage is single digit low, but i could be wrong
    Spot on - I have an Athlon 200GE in a NAS ...great thing especially with Kodi. My Desktop will have an upgrade next.....but definitely without iGPU ....I dont want to pay for a feature which will not be used at all. A higher order Ryzen should be used with additional GFX Card.

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied

Which low end, this is high end APU

All other APUs in desktop/embedded/mobile space are bellow this in performance.
    I meant that it'd be nice if the higher end CPUs would also get an integrated GPU.

Leave a comment:

• mtruchado
    replied
    Please post the output of vainfo

thanks

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Die space. Space that is taken up for GPU cores is space that could be used for CPU cores.
    Does it have to be on the same die? Couldn't the GPU be just another chiplet in the same package?

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by Venemo View Post
    I never understood why only these low-end AMD products get an integrated GPU. It'd be nice if the high end variants also had one.
    Die space. Space that is taken up for GPU cores is space that could be used for CPU cores.

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied
    I never understood why only these low-end AMD products get an integrated GPU. It'd be nice if the high end variants also had one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X