No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G Is Working Well On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was traditionally, but clearly something's happened recently.
    Hi

Comment

This is an awesome article with valuable information. And it is especially the title of the article along with the quoted paragraph what makes me happy.

To much pleasure, the Ryzen 5 3400G hasn't caused me any grief in testing on Linux over the past few weeks. Even when using the same motherboards/firmware and Linux software components, this Picasso APU has behaved fine without any stability problems or other headaches.
      I still would have two questions:
      1) Can I assume that Ryzen 3 3200G would behave equally fine on Linux? After all, they are very close siblings. 🙂
      2) If you have any experience with using Ryzen 3 3200G on Linux, please post it here. You can also write what MB & RAM & distro you'are using. I believe there are lot of users, who would appreciate such info.

Many thanks in advance.

Comment

Gigabyte I am/was using

Ryzen 3200G (but the Ryzen 2200G ran perfectly fine as well, despite being a RMA)
        16 and 32GB RAM (cant remember the brands, but they're named)
        B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI
        ASUS ROG Strix B450-I
        Both running NVME drives (250GB and 1TB Intel), and HDD's (everything from 1TB to 8TB)

Linux Mint and Manjaro (KDE) both ran perfectly fine, EXCEPT Manjaro XFCE which had some serious graphical issues crop up recently when I was just fiddling around.
        Hi

Comment

Just saw this piece regarding Ryzen APU's:

Other changes in this "fixes" pull request include two stability regression fixes for Raven Ridge APUs, which end up disabling S/G and GFXOFF for those Zen+Vega APUs. S/G apparently is still causing problems when IOMMU is enabled for some systems while the GFXOFF power-savings functionality still also has its own set of problems with select board/firmware combinations.
          from this article Mick just posted. So if you did have problems, there's a workaround for a GFX issue in the latest kernel. Not a fix, but hey, it's working for now.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy
            Thanks a lot for your replies. I gave you two likes as a reward. 🙂

Comment

apologies if I'm resurrecting the thread..
              But I have a ryzen 3400G on linux mint 19.0 (Kernel 5.0.0 - 32) and I don't get anywhere near the frame rates this article gives.
              Newer kernels cause graphics errors (noise and horizontal lines in the Desktop) .
              What can I do to find out what's wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by mahela007 View Post
                apologies if I'm resurrecting the thread..
                But I have a ryzen 3400G on linux mint 19.0 (Kernel 5.0.0 - 32) and I don't get anywhere near the frame rates this article gives.
                Newer kernels cause graphics errors (noise and horizontal lines in the Desktop) .
                What can I do to find out what's wrong?
                I also have a lot of troubles with that config. I have ordered two computers with a Ryzen 5 3400g and Gigabyte Aorus elite B450 after reading that article. I needed to do a bios update, but the screen wasn't even showing anything plugged with HDMI. I finally found an old screen in DVI with was able to show me the BIOS so I could do the BIOS update.
                Then after installing Debian, or even Ubuntu 20.04, a lot of stuttering / artifact / screen tearing. I had to add
                Code:
                GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="amd_iommu=on iommu=pt"
                in
                Code:
                /etc/default/grub
                and do
                Code:
                sudo update-grub
                and reboot and then I had no screen problems, and that workaround is needed even with the 5.6.7 linux kernel (the very last stable available right now). And now, I still have no sound from micro jack, font or back, and I didn't succeed to solve that problem.

Does anybody have a suggestion?

Comment

I know this is an old thread now, but only just reaslised this last post. Did anything ever come of updated BIOS/UEFI? I reaslised I was using a HDMI plug adapter 》DVI monitor, so might have avoided some HDMI issues.

I REALLY need to get my hands back on my two 3200G babies! I must have been the only one in history to have avoided all problems (bar the DoA 2200G replaced with 3200G)
                  Hi

Comment

Working...
                  X