Intel Launches 10th Gen "Comet Lake" Laptop CPUs For Laptops & 2-in-1s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Launches 10th Gen "Comet Lake" Laptop CPUs For Laptops & 2-in-1s

Phoronix: Intel Launches 10th Gen "Comet Lake" Laptop CPUs For Laptops & 2-in-1s

Earlier this month Intel announced 11 Icelake CPUs for laptops and 2-in1s under their 10th Gen CPU line-up. Today the company announced the 10th Gen Comet Lake CPUs also for 2-in-1s and laptops...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gen 10, but with Gen9 graphics and on 14nm. Also AVX2 instead of AVX-512. Intel is really screwing up. The same generation has Gen 11 graphics on Ice lake.

Instead of clear market segmentation, they are throwing a mish-mash lineup with everything they can find. They have no unified strategy.

Comment

Comet Lake is a fourth generation Skylake, it is a old processor with a new name.
      Note that Comet Lake is built on their old 14 nm technology, not their new 10 nm technology.
      Note also that Comet Lake does not have the in-silicon mitigations to Spectre and Meltdown that Ice Lake carries.

Comment

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14782...-power-laptops

With an update to Intel's product stack also comes an update to the state of various security fixes on Intel platforms. Overall, both Comet Lake-U and Comet Lake-Y are shipping with the same security fixes as Ice Lake, so all three chips are on par with each other.

In the case of Comet Lake-U, this is a new die that incorporates Intel's latest security fixes. Meanwhile, even though Comet Lake-Y is recycling an existing Whiskey Lake-U die, Intel appears to be using the latest stepping of that die (Stepping 12), which was released specifically to add hardware fixes for the various MDS exploits.
        Ignorant people shouldn't post comments about things they don't know about.

Screenshot in case of edits to hide their ignorance.
        Last edited by GT220; 21 August 2019, 01:27 PM.

Comment

6C12T 25W processors?
          Interesting, but is this any good?
          A couple of years back you had to go all the way up to 45W to get a quad core, so it makes me wonder, can these 25W quad cores and six-cores really provide the kind of performance of processors like 6700HQ for example or is all of this just another trick by Intel?
          Could you put 25W CPU in a mid-range gaming laptop for example?
          Last edited by IreMinMon; 21 August 2019, 03:25 PM. Reason: Fixed wrong number of threads

Comment

Only 12MB of cache? Zen Rome has 256MB of cache! 256! Also only 6 cores? I want to see a laptop come out that one can run a few different VMs at full strength on or do heavy compilation. Until then I will be sticking to a desktop for my heavy lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
              6C12T 25W processors?
              Interesting, but is this any good?
              A couple of years back you had to go all the way up to 45W to get a quad core, so it makes me wonder, can these 25W quad cores and six-cores really provide the kind of performance of processors like 6700HQ for example or is all of this just another trick by Intel?
              Could you put 25W CPU in a mid-range gaming laptop for example?
              These are actually 25W when "upticked" or whatever the term is. They are only 15W by default.

A gaming laptop (the Razor blade stealth) uses the i7-8565U, and that chip also has a 15W TDP. Thiese new comet lake cpus are supposedly faster than that generation, but who knows what trickery is involved in those tests.

Comment

Working...
              X