POWER9 & ARM Performance Against Intel Xeon Cascadelake + AMD EPYC Rome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
    Oh really *always*? So we will endure x86-64 til the end of time?
    I’m expecting a fairly rapid shift to new technologies that could leave Intel completely in competitive. In part we should expect a rapid increase in hardware to support AI/ML type processing. To that end expect non traditional processor manufactures to take the lead. The likes of Apple, Google, and others will drive these advances into their custom hardware.

As for the other non sense about X86, presented by some here, I can say with reasonable confidence that most developers these days don’t even know what hardware their software will run on. This especially in the case of anything Web related where “apps” are often written in interpreted languages and run on virtualized platforms.

Beyond all of that, these days mobile is ARM and the desktop mostly x86. Anybody bridging these platforms is well aware of how to keep their software cross platform.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

I don’t think you grasp the current situation.
      That is the current situation and reality on my LinuxFromScratch machine. Literally. Just
      • ./configure, make, make install,
      • cmake make make install or
      • meson ninja ninja install

Comment

Wondering if the Power9 might have performed better on some of the benchmarks with 1- or 2-way SMT rather than 4-way ?
        Test signature

Comment

I'm a bit confused on what kind of system the "ARM Cavium ThunderX" results are measured, because the article it says:

the Cavium ThunderX X2 yielding 96 cores with a 2.0GHz clock speed.
          Does that mean dual socket ThunderX(1) - or ThunderX2? I thought for a moment it was a single CN9970 (ThunderX2 / Vulcan) with 96 threads, but I guess it matches two 24-core CN88XX (ThunderX). I would be really curious about the results for a ThunderX2, which is also not the freshest processor. But the results for the almost-5-year-old ThunderX(1) aren't really meaningful in comparison with the latest uarch of Intel/AMD/IBM.

Comment

Fun thread. Is anyone picking Power9 over AMD for any reason(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

Yes me. i will buy a IBM power9 computer because i do not want this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Pl...rity_Processor

My old FX8320 i am using right now does not have a AMD PSP and my next computer will not have a AMD PSP to.

like Bridgman said: National Government Trojan horse on your hardware is serving one master but the AMD PSP is serving another master(Hollywood elites who want DRM/Copyprotection)

they are maybe not the same masters than "government" Trojan horse but i prever to have no Master at all.
              Interesting. And you'll run Linux? And Linux entirely works on IBM Power9, or are you going to miss some features or software support? Can one run Windows & OSX in VMs in KVM on a Power9? I've heard you can turn off most of those "features" with various patches - but not PSP?
              You've spark my curiosity

Comment

Any chance you can make the test results public on OpenBenchmarking? This is an interesting mix of machines to compare against.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

Yes i run Linux. i do not have a power9 PC yet.

Yes you can run windows in a VM in QEMU and KVM

no you can not turn off the PSP unit for sure.

they claim they have bios/UEFI option to turn it of
                  but the AMD ryzen and threadripper hardware of friends does not show up this option in BIOS.

also even if you turn the bios option on to turn the PSP unit of you can not be sure.

they can run it even if they claim it is turned off.
                  Thanks! Hopefully AMD will remedy that insanity. Intel is just beyond reproach.

I was thinking that KVM on Power9 would expose the underlying hardware to such a degree that OSX and/or Windows could not run on KVM if on Power9. If I could get a top of the line AMD GPU + power9 running Linux with KVMs for proprietary stuff on top of that, then I'd definitely consider going all power9. Would be epic if stable!

Comment

I hate to "necro" the thread...but this seems to be the latest one on the subject.

Regarding what that one user was saying about being to recompile anything, shouldn't we be able to do that on this platform? Anything written entirely in C/C++ should be able to be recompiled on Linux and/or FreeBSD on this computer (Talos II), right? I mean main(){printf("hello, world!\n");} is pretty portable and should compile on anything.

I can see not being able to do that if you have a program with assembly language, but surely things like GIMP, VLC, and even games like Xonotic should recompile just fine on a POWER9....right?

My question was, how could you run Windows games on this machine? I guess you would have to use a virtual machine like Quemu and install a Linux distro in the virtual machine, and put Wine on the virtual machine, and then run the game through that? Performance would probably take a big hit at that point.

But Xonotic and OpenArena are two of my favorite games, and they should recompile just fine on POWER9, I would think.

Comment

Working...
                    X