Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A POWER'ful Announcement Is Expected Tomorrow Changing The Open-Source Landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    With virtually every single open-source application written with the underlying assumption that they will be compiled under x64, I consider POWER to be nothing more than just IBM's personal toy (and RISC-V to be just a novelty).

I'm not going to give POWER and RISC-V (and practically every other processor architecture) a second look until we reach the day where every application that makes up the Linux desktop can be built as-is and unpatched directly from upstream sources by an end-user with just:
    • ./configure, make, make install,
    • cmake make make install or
    • meson ninja ninja install
    as is the current situation with x64.
    This is a chicken and egg situation, and if there's no adoption of other architectures, developers won't bother ensuring things just compile on them.

Comment

Keynotes by Facebook, by Red Hat.

Panel with Raptor, SUSE, Microsoft Azure Research and others on the component integration side.

- Facebook will display the widespread installation of POWER in their datacenters
      - Red Hat and SUSE will show full stack support for OpenPOWER.

Samsung is now up there alongside IBM as a sponsor so I would surmise a 7nm process node for POWER.

Notably absent from *anything* is prior premium sponsor NVidia. Supporting sponsor Tyan.

Others notably missing from last year are Google, Rackspace, Hitachi.

Canonical had a big present on running Ubuntu on POWER last year, maybe that is why SUSE is here this time.

Comment

With virtually every single open-source application written with the underlying assumption that they will be compiled under x64...
        The large majority of software is architecture independent, as anyone who has realy used an arm64 phone/tablet/laptop/sbc would know.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
          A POWER based SoC / SBC?
          Think bigger!
          It's gonna be an Open Source Outreach Program for Women!

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post

The large majority of software is architecture independent, as anyone who has realy used an arm64 phone/tablet/laptop/sbc would know.
            https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=30170
            They are not architecture independent.

All those applications running on ARM have been heavily patched downstream by the distribution in order to get them to build and run on ARM.

Try running ./configure make make install on any major open source application code and see how it runs into compile errors within seconds.

I can't never build an out-of-tree Mediatek WiFi driver on ARM while it always compiles perfectly in x64.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

This is a chicken and egg situation, and if there's no adoption of other architectures, developers won't bother ensuring things just compile on them.
              It has got nothing to do with chicken and egg.

ARM is so widely used and yet just about every single major software application in desktop linux cannot even be built natively from unpatched upstream sources without errors.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Think bigger!
                It's gonna be an Open Source Outreach Program for Women!
                Why only women??? What about men you fascist transphobe!!!11

Comment

Liza Su will be the next CEO, The current one is dreamy and far from consumers feature listings

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
                    A POWER based SoC / SBC?
                    That would be great. After having provided a development machine, that would allow to complete the POWER environment for usages that don't need the power (or require a lower consumption) of a POWER9. A kind of top-down approach.

Comment

ARM is so widely used and yet just about every single major software application in desktop linux cannot even be built natively from unpatched upstream sources without errors.
                      Sources on that? I know that there are some packages that need patches but overall it breaks down to just use the right configure options. i.e. enabling SSE is pretty useless on ARM.

ArchLinuxARM has a Github Repo for the "changed" packages from upstream ArchLinux. The changes are documented inside the PKGBUILD. https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs

Most of them are just configure changes as far as I checked, because ArchLinux specifically chooses x64 optimizations in them (i.e. enabling SSE/AVX or using compiler flags that are not applicable on ARM). Some changes are also only for old ARMv5 / ARMv6 CPUs.

So very very very far from "just about every single major software application in desktop linux"
                      Last edited by -MacNuke-; 20 August 2019, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X