Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 4.1 Released With Many ARM, MIPS & x86 Additions

Phoronix: QEMU 4.1 Released With Many ARM, MIPS & x86 Additions

QEMU 4.1 is now out as one of the important pieces to the open-source Linux virtualization stack...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...U-4.1-Released

That sounds like a really nice release. Could someone please explain what

QEMU 4.1 include VirtIO GPU 2D/3D rendering support for offloading to an external vhost-user process
    means exactly?

Comment

thanks Michael,
      For the info, as always!

Originally posted by kmare View Post
      That sounds like a really nice release. Could someone please explain what

means exactly?
      Means exactly that
      You can develop in quemu VM guest,
      And pass-trough the rendering to a HOST process, also can be presented in HOST hardware graphics card.

Indeed is seems a very nice release!
      the majority of improvements I noticed,
      Were in ARM( fpu, etc ) and MIPS( specifically MSA SIMD, litle endian and also big endian ), but there are a ton of improvements,
      including the ability to build quemu via kconfig,
      Rendering pass-trough to Host processes, etc..

Very nice indeed!

Comment

I have a question. Is it possible to simulate a camera on QEMU?

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          thanks Michael,
          For the info, as always!

Means exactly that
          You can develop in quemu VM guest,
          And pass-trough the rendering to a HOST process, also can be presented in HOST hardware graphics card.

Indeed is seems a very nice release!
          the majority of improvements I noticed,
          Were in ARM( fpu, etc ) and MIPS( specifically MSA SIMD, litle endian and also big endian ), but there are a ton of improvements,
          including the ability to build quemu via kconfig,
          Rendering pass-trough to Host processes, etc..

Very nice indeed!
          Dof a this mean not need to use nasty PCI passtrought, VirtualGL for OpenGL or Wine-based Direct3D emulation? Can it reach native or near-native 2D and 3D rendering so able to run high end software such as videogames?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I have a question. Is it possible to simulate a camera on QEMU?
            What do you mean by simulate? You can passthrough a camera to the guest (which will disconnect it from the host). Otherwise, you need a virtual driver for a camera. I'm not sure if one exists.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Dof a this mean not need to use nasty PCI passtrought, VirtualGL for OpenGL or Wine-based Direct3D emulation? Can it reach native or near-native 2D and 3D rendering so able to run high end software such as videogames?
              VirGL itself is not exactly new, but it lacks a complete Windows driver AFAIK. There's a basic virtio-gpu driver for Windows10, but I don't believe anybody has written a Direct3D driver for it (or ported the Mesa Gallium VirGL). Unfortunately, again AFAIK there isn't even a driver for <Windows 10, which is a shame as in theory it should be possible to re-use gallium-nine to provide D3D9 support. As for performance, it 's less than native, but probably sufficient for most things short of AAA games.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Otherwise, you need a virtual driver for a camera. I'm not sure if one exists.
                Exactly what I mean. I'm pretty sure it exists to some extent, due to the Android Emulator being based on QEMU and being able to show a checkerboard when I open the camera app.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
                  Which is a shame as in theory it should be possible to re-use gallium-nine to provide D3D9 support. As for performance, it 's less than native, but probably sufficient for most things short of AAA games.
                  It would probably be easier to provide a Vulkan pass through (which is already in the works afaik) and have a DXVK-based driver. Would avoid having to send DirectX to the host.

Imho Gallum-Nine is dead.

Comment

QEMU with KVM finally made using Windows with Linux completely seamless for me. Though I don't need Windows for many things, primarily Band in a Box for myself and debugging things for others, it was always a pain to dual boot into it and leave Linux completely behind for hours or days.

But with GPU and USB passthrough I simply run Windows on another monitor or TV while using Linux, and amazingly my own rough benchmarks consistently show a minor 4% overhead for the VM. It's truly amazing.

Comment

Working...
                    X