AMD Renoir Lands In Mesa's RadeonSI - Further Pointing To Vega, Not Navi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    4mm2 * 64 = 32mm2, not 250mm2. Because you're dealing with square mm, not a linear size.
    Are you sure ? I think 4mm^^2 x 64 really is 256 mm^^2. If it was "4mm on a side" I would agree with you... x64 would be 32mm on a side.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Are you sure ? I think 4mm^^2 x 64 really is 256 mm^^2. If it was "4mm on a side" I would agree with you... x64 would be 32mm on a side.
      It's not, its 250mm2.

smitty3268 It's hard to admit that you are wrong, but in this case you are.

AMD/Intel is not going to put that large of a cache on-die or on package on their mainstream iGPUs, it's that simple. Sure on premium parts they can, but they'll charge you for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidC1 View Post

It's not, its 250mm2.

smitty3268 It's hard to admit that you are wrong, but in this case you are.

AMD/Intel is not going to put that large of a cache on-die or on package on their mainstream iGPUs, it's that simple. Sure on premium parts they can, but they'll charge you for it.
        I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, and in this case yes i was... It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          4mm2 * 64 = 32mm2, not 250mm2.

Because you're dealing with square mm, not a linear size.
          I want to answer this because correct knowledge is useful for everyone.

4mm x 4mm = You say its "4 mm squared"
          4mm2 = You say its "4 square meter"

Also, since dies are often not equal on 4 sides, you won't use "mm square" convention when you are talking about it. It's implied that its in the "square meter" convention. You can, but it just complicates things. Why say the die is "4.8mm x 3.2mm" when you can just say "15.36mm2"? It's same with houses if you are in North America(US/Canada). The house size is "2300 ft2" or "2300 square feet" not "(30 ft x 25 ft) + (15 ft x 12 ft) + (35 ft x 10 ft) + ...", because that's we understand things.
          Last edited by DavidC1; 23 August 2019, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X