AMD Renoir Lands In Mesa's RadeonSI - Further Pointing To Vega, Not Navi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Renoir Lands In Mesa's RadeonSI - Further Pointing To Vega, Not Navi

Phoronix: AMD Renoir Lands In Mesa's RadeonSI - Further Pointing To Vega, Not Navi

Last week AMD sent out their initial Linux graphics driver support for next-gen Renoir APUs. Those Linux kernel bits will land with AMDGPU in the upcoming Linux 5.4 cycle while the RadeonSI changes were merged today marking that OpenGL support as a new feature for the upcoming Mesa 19.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll get the ball started, this product is DOA.

You want to capture the laptop market you must jettison Vega from the APU.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

The vast majority of people buying laptops have no idea what video chip is in their machine.

Comment

I'd like Navi but if there was an AMD laptop with a 4k display and at least 16GB of ram I would take Vega too

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
          I'd like Navi but if there was an AMD laptop with a 4k display and at least 16GB of ram I would take Vega too
          There is but you have to order from the manufacturer.

Comment

Any one knows any Vendor with ryzen+ APUs( since AMD doesn't want to release ryzen2 APUs.. ) that have a good linux support and displays 13" or 14" max,
            But are not limited to 15Watts TDP?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              Any one knows any Vendor with ryzen+ APUs( since AMD doesn't want to release ryzen2 APUs.. ) that have a good linux support and displays 13" or 14" max,
              But are not limited to 15Watts TDP?

Thanks,
              Don't know about the TDP part, but the closest laptop that I could find:

AMD's mobile Ryzen series is slowly but surely making its way up onto higher-end Ultrabooks. The less expensive ZenBook 14 UM433DA will offer Ryzen Zen+ processors for a similar level of performance to the more expensive Intel Whiskey Lake-U series.

But probably next year we will see better APU implementation from OEM

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Why would it be DoA? Ryzen 3000 with current Vega iGPU is already competitive with Icelake GPU.

Vega is plenty fine on the iGPU space as you can already tell. 7nm would make it better, unless they screw that up badly.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidC1 View Post

Why would it be DoA? Ryzen 3000 with current Vega iGPU is already competitive with Icelake GPU.

Vega is plenty fine on the iGPU space as you can already tell. 7nm would make it better, unless they screw that up badly.
                  Streamlining the process node for all GPGPUs, APUs, CPUs reduces cost and for RDNA puts GCN in the rear-view mirror finally. AMD has never capitalized on their APU advantage, but Navi gives them a much lower power consumption and thus attract more manufacturers than with Vega. Vega for Macbook Pros are all under powered due to the design of Vega never being for portables. Navi on the other hand has the embedded to workstation design by default.

Keep knee capping the APUs with Vega when Navi is the focus makes zero sense. It's right up there with Vega VII being a short batch run of left-over chips that they doubled the HBM2 support and fully opened up the bandwidth for that generation of memory.

With HBM2E lots of doors open, but you wouldn't put it with Vega outside of Data Centers/Supercomputers. You'd pair it with Navi.

AMD wants visibility they should take the design for Macbook Pros contracts from Intel and make Apple a solution they can't refute. You don't get any more visibility than that contract. Having these in after-thought HP, Lenovo, Asus products get you zero visibility.

AMD has a great relationship with Apple. They're foolish not to expand on it.

Comment

Since the transfer rate of the (DDR4-)memory of APUs limits the 3D performance, a stronger graphics unit might be useless. In addition, Vega would be smaller, so more chip space could be saved. Maybe there are more cores?

Comment

Working...
                    X