Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Playing Nicely With Latest Linux Distros Following BIOS Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DRanged on many non-X570 AM4 mobos, the manufacturers unlocked the ability to run PCIe 4.0. AMD publicly said that they don't want this, and starting with AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB (the release that fixed RDRAND), it is now hard blocked by AMD.

And yes, PCIe 4.0 did work, even on a low-end A320 mobo that costs $40.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      DRanged on many non-X570 AM4 mobos, the manufacturers unlocked the ability to run PCIe 4.0. AMD publicly said that they don't want this, and starting with AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB (the release that fixed RDRAND), it is now hard blocked by AMD.

And yes, PCIe 4.0 did work, even on a low-end A320 mobo that costs $40.
      https://youtu.be/ZV0Q4PIuNz8?t=772
      I stand corrected but the original link provided for the board did not state any PCIe 4.0 thats why.
      I myself have a Asrock x470 master sli with bios P3.40 Agesa 1.0.0.3 (not the 1.0.0.3ABB) have to look at my bios if there is something there. AFAIK now is that agesa 1.0.0.3ABB removed PCIe 4.0. Don't know if my mobo supported it or not.

Comment

Im considering purchasing a bunch of Lenovo SR635 with AMD Epyc 7742 cpus.
        What im abit unsure about is how good the "support" is in RHEL 8.x for this platform??!
        Red Hat lists Epyc 7742 as supported, but they are using GCC 8.x and based on previous articles one would need GCC 9.2 with backported znver2 march=target to fully utilize this new platform. In addition to this, im unsure if the default kernel of RHEL 8.x as a cpu scheduler that really can take advantage of this brand new cpu with 64cores (128 threads)
        Any comments on this?

/D

Comment

I have Ubuntu 19.04 installed already on a system with an i2500k. I'm looking to upgrade to an AMD processor and consequently to the "MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON" motherboard. Will my system boot when I switch over?

Comment

Hmm, Ubuntu 18.4.3 still fails to boot from a USB .iso image on my Asus ROG Strix B450-i with latest BIOS and Ryzen 7 3700X.

Comment

Working...
            X