Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Joins The RISC-V Foundation

Phoronix: Red Hat Joins The RISC-V Foundation

Red Hat has joined the RISC-V Foundation to help foster this open-source processor ISA...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now if we could get Google to port Android Things to RISV-V and Microsoft to port .NET Core to RISC-V that would be great.

Comment

Alibaba invests in fastest RISC-V based processor.

RISC-V carries an instruction-set architecture; according to the EE/Times report, the company said it added 50 extended instructions to enhance various arithmetic operations, memory access and multicore capabilities.
      Maybe in near future also in RISC-V servers running Redhat or other Linux distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
        Alibaba invests in fastest RISC-V based processor.
        RISC-V carries an instruction-set architecture; according to the EE/Times report, the company said it added 50 extended instructions to enhance various arithmetic operations, memory access and multicore capabilities.
        Maybe in near future also in RISC-V servers running Redhat or other Linux distribution.
        To Alibaba:

Comment

Alibaba one, seems to be the best riscv around..

For me,
          The biggest next Event, its the release of Loongson Godson 3A4000/3B4000( October 2019 )..
          It will be, the last big processor produced in Europe( produced by STMicroelectronics 28 nm )!
          Next Godson 3C5000, will move to TSMC( 16 nm )

Loongson Godson 3A4000,3B4000 @2Ghz
          It's based in the open arch GS464V..

MSA/LSX 256bit SIMD
          It also feature a proper L7, North/South bridge
          It will double the processing power of the previous arch GS464E( 3A3000/3B3000 ), with a lot bigger efficiency, and optimisations on all aspects..

And so,
          I already rescheduled my priorities, and I will get or a laptop with 3A4000 or a 2 nodes Motherboard with 3B4000s,
          Or, If prices are adequate( for this historical moment ), maybe both!!
          Last edited by tuxd3v; 08 August 2019, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            Alibaba one, seems to be the best riscv around..

For me,
            The biggest next Event, its the release of Loongson Godson 3A4000/3B4000( October 2019 )..
            It will be, the last big processor produced in Europe( produced by STMicroelectronics 28 nm )!
            Next Godson 3C5000, will move to TSMC( 16 nm )

Loongson Godson 3A4000,3B4000 @2Ghz
            It's based in the open arch GS464V..

MSA/LSX 256bit SIMD
            It also feature a proper L7, North/South bridge
            It will double the processing power of the previous arch GS464E( 3A3000/3B3000 ), with a lot bigger efficiency, and optimisations on all aspects..

And so,
            I already rescheduled my priorities, and I will get or a laptop with 3A4000 or a 2 nodes Motherboard with 3B4000s,
            Or, If prices are adequate( for this historical moment ), maybe both!!
            I just had an internship as a kernel engineer at Lemote, which is the main vendor of Loongson boards.

The sample of 3A4000 is already being tested for a long period. And It's going to be released in October with products in my estimate.
            The processing power of 3A4000 is fascinating for me. As the official announcement, it can reach 10 points/Ghz base in SPECint2006 benchmark.

But you might be disappointed since they have no plan for a 3A4000 laptop as for now. Because the design power consumption of 3A4000 can be up to 80 Watt@2Ghz, that is almost unacceptable for a portable device. As far as I know, single 3A4000 M-ATX board is already in sample stage, Multi ways 2/4/8 nodes 3A4000 systems are also in the plan.

Also, there are still some concerns about this processor. Firstly, the bridge chip it paired with, Loongson-7A1000, is pretty buggy. It has a Vivante GC1000 GPU, we tried to port open-source etnaviv driver, but soon we found that it's display controller had tons of issues that can't even display desktop correctly. Secondly, the quality of the documents is very bad. It's all in Chinese, but I can't even fully understand their words as a native Chinese speaker. Without asking the designer of the chip, it is nearly impossible to do low-level development.

The only good news is while Loongson officially stopped their steps of Kernel version on 3.10 from Redhat, Lemote is still trying to tracing the mainline kernel. We just brought up mainline kernel on that processor. But submit the patches to upstream would still be a long journey.

It's very surprising for me that there are still oversea Loongson users after Loongson-2F, wish you have fun with it : )

Comment

Who joined the RISC-V foundation? Cause there's no RedHat anymore.

Edit: My mistake, they're now a subsidiary of IBM, but they've kept their identity.
              Last edited by bug77; 08 August 2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I can now say I joined the RISC-V foundation before Red Hat. ;- )

More seriously, this is a good sign. I hope they become interested in porting V8 and Hotspot, I know (with some first-hand knowldege) that this is a lot of work, so somebody very productive and motivated will probably have to make it their full-time occupation for a couple months.

Comment

Originally posted by uid
                  Now if we could get Google to port Android Things to RISV-V and Microsoft to port .NET Core to RISC-V that would be great.
                  uid, I know you already want to see the entire world in RISC-V, and your dev boards to be as cheap as ARM ones, but you need to be more patient.

Comment

Originally posted by flygoat View Post
                    The sample of 3A4000 is already being tested for a long period. And It's going to be released in October with products in my estimate.
                    The processing power of 3A4000 is fascinating for me. As the official announcement, it can reach 10 points/Ghz base in SPECint2006 benchmark.

But you might be disappointed since they have no plan for a 3A4000 laptop as for now. Because the design power consumption of 3A4000 can be up to 80 Watt@2Ghz, that is almost unacceptable for a portable device. As far as I know, single 3A4000 M-ATX board is already in sample stage, Multi ways 2/4/8 nodes 3A4000 systems are also in the plan.
                    First of all,
                    Thanks for the resumed briefing on it..
                    It will be released a lot of processors, including the new 2K2000,@ 2Ghz( STMicroelectronics 28 nm ), this processor seems amazing for ultrabooks market..

A open source board seems to be in design here( for laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X230 shell ), but with 2k1000, and also AMD bridges, not the new L7..Why not port to 2K2000.. ?
                    2K2000, seems to be orders of magnitude superior to 2K1000?!

There is a 3A3000 @1.2Ghz notebook option here, but is less interesting, than a 2k2000 in a ultrabook, or a 3A4000 in a notebook,
                    But if power goes to the roof, then a ultrabook with 2k2000, would be fine

Here is said that 3A4000 has the double of performance of 3A3000( 3A4000, which has Hardware Support for C11/C++11 atomic memory operations..and a lot of new things, including some mips64r6 instructions.. ),

So sumarizing it..
                    A ultrabook with 2k2000 and a 3A4000 Desktop/Server with 1/2 nodes, would be fine
                    The 3A3000, had a power consumption of ~40 [email protected]? .. maybe I am misinterpreting data..

Also, there are still some concerns about this processor. Firstly, the bridge chip it paired with, Loongson-7A1000, is pretty buggy. It has a Vivante GC1000 GPU, we tried to port open-source etnaviv driver, but soon we found that it's display controller had tons of issues that can't even display desktop correctly. Secondly, the quality of the documents is very bad. It's all in Chinese, but I can't even fully understand their words as a native Chinese speaker. Without asking the designer of the chip, it is nearly impossible to do low-level development.

The only good news is while Loongson officially stopped their steps of Kernel version on 3.10 from Redhat, Lemote is still trying to tracing the mainline kernel. We just brought up mainline kernel on that processor. But submit the patches to upstream would still be a long journey.
                    Thanks for the info..
                    You say they are pairing it with Loongson-7A1000( RS780+SB710, it has a 2d/3d graphics card, but I think its amd based, page 12... )..
                    His this the "entirely new L7 chipset" to be launched..?
                    It was supposed to be a new homegrown Chipset, I was expecting it would have a 2d/3d maybe ? SiliconMotion Graphics perhaps..?!

IT could be there variations, depending on the market maybe..

It's very surprising for me that there are still oversea Loongson users after Loongson-2F, wish you have fun with it : )
                    Thanks in Advance,
                    Well, its not hard to buy it..., it will be the last "Big Core" CPU produced in Europe( apart from Baikal Electronics/MSCT and maybe others in Russia..), so I have no other option...

I hope it will end nicely, with a great support from China at software/firmware..?!

PS: What are your feelings, about it, when you were using the reference test machine?

Thanks in Advance..
                    Best Regards,

Comment

Working...
                    X