No announcement yet.

Red Hat Joins The RISC-V Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, IBM is double dipping with good press these days. Good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
      First of all,
      Thanks for the resumed briefing on it..
      It will be released a lot of processors, including the new 2K2000,@ 2Ghz( STMicroelectronics 28 nm ), this processor seems amazing for ultrabooks market..

A open source board seems to be in design here( for laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X230 shell ), but with 2k1000, and also AMD bridges, not the new L7..Why not port to 2K2000.. ?
      2K2000, seems to be orders of magnitude superior to 2K1000?!
      2K2000 is still in the development stage, I don't expect to see in next year.

There is a 3A3000 @1.2Ghz notebook option here, but is less interesting, than a 2k2000 in a ultrabook, or a 3A4000 in a notebook,
      But if power goes to the roof, then a ultrabook with 2k2000, would be fine
      I have that 3A3000 laptop, the performance is acceptable but the thermal issue is already serious due to the ultrabook design.

Here is said that 3A4000 has the double of performance of 3A3000( 3A4000, which has Hardware Support for C11/C++11 atomic memory operations..and a lot of new things, including some mips64r6 instructions.. ),

So sumarizing it..
      A ultrabook with 2k2000 and a 3A4000 Desktop/Server with 1/2 nodes, would be fine
      The 3A3000, had a power consumption of ~40 [email protected]? .. maybe I am misinterpreting data..
      Estimated peak power consumption of 3A3000 is about [email protected].

Thanks for the info..
      You say they are pairing it with Loongson-7A1000( RS780+SB710, it has a 2d/3d graphics card, but I think its amd based, page 12... )..
      His this the "entirely new L7 chipset" to be launched..?
      Yes.
      It was supposed to be a new homegrown Chipset, I was expecting it would have a 2d/3d maybe ? SiliconMotion Graphics perhaps..?!

IT could be there variations, depending on the market maybe..
      As far as I know, 7A1000 have no variations, only several bugfix revisions. Page 12 said "代替RS780+SB710", means replacing the function of RS780+SB710, not based on AMD. Loongson-7A1000 was designed by Loongson themselves, although it contains some external IP blocks. Like 2D/3D GC1000 GPU from Vivante, Designware PCIe, Synopsys GMAC. There are already some 3A3000 products come with 7A1000, as AMD stopped producing RS780 chipset.

Thanks in Advance,
      Well, its not hard to buy it..., it will be the last "Big Core" CPU produced in Europe( apart from Baikal Electronics/MSCT and maybe others in Russia..), so I have no other option...

I hope it will end nicely, with a great support from China at software/firmware..?!

PS: What are your feelings, about it, when you were using the reference test machine?
      The performance data is currently under NDA, but I must say it is a powerful machine. It just made me feel like I was using an Intel/AMD system expect some applications are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by flygoat View Post
        2K2000 is still in the development stage, I don't expect to see in next year.
        Thanks again for the valuable information
        I hope in the future 2020 maybe, will be there a ultrabook with 2K2000 on it

Originally posted by flygoat View Post
        The performance data is currently under NDA, but I must say it is a powerful machine. It just made me feel like I was using an Intel/AMD system expect some applications are still missing.
        Thanks you very much..
        I will try a desktop/server version..

Best Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
          So, IBM is double dipping with good press these days. Good to know.
          Seeing this more like move against Intel domination, a CPU architecture re-diversification like '80 or '90 no single architecture dominating the market.
          Will work for IBM, but not for Intel nor AMD.

Comment

Very smart:

Dear onicsis,

hreindl has quoted you in the discussion located at:
            Phoronix: Red Hat Joins The RISC-V Foundation Red Hat has joined the RISC-V Foundation to help foster this open-source processor ISA... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Red-Hat-Joins-RISC-V-Foundation

Here is the message that has been posted:
            QUOTE=onicsis;n1118630
            Maybe in near future also in RISC-V servers running Redhat or other Linux distribution
            why idiot?

All the best

You Know: Snowball Effect

Yes
            other than you, RISC-V is about open hardware no matter what OS and distribution flavour
            Ha Ha. Yes really !!! NO MATTER which OS is used with open harware. Even Windows 10 which violates users privacy by default. And nuke entire concept of open hardware. Also by default.
            Or Deepin OS

Is Red Hat Working for the NSA?
            Last edited by onicsis; 10 August 2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Now if we could get Google to port Android Things to RISV-V and Microsoft to port .NET Core to RISC-V that would be great.
              Patches welcome https://github.com/microsoft/dotnet

Comment

Working...
              X