Linux k10temp Support Pending For AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux k10temp Support Pending For AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Processors

Phoronix: Linux k10temp Support Pending For AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Processors

Patches are now queued into the Linux kernel's hwmon subsystem staging area that allow the AMD "k10temp" driver to support the Ryzen 3000 "Zen 2" processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There's a kernel module called zenpower that's capable of reading current, voltage and power of Ryzen CPUs. It does temperature as well, so it's a replacement for k10temp, with more functionality. Works really well on my 2200G. Edit: Heh, I had written here that it doesn't support Ryzen 3000 yet, but it actually does, has been added a few days ago. You'll still need to wait for the kernel to add support though, because zenpower/k10temp use functionality that's elsewhere in the kernel.

You can find zenpower on github: https://github.com/ocerman/zenpower. There's also a neat GUI companion for it, zenmonitor: https://github.com/ocerman/zenmonitor.
    Last edited by Gusar; 28 July 2019, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
      There's a kernel module called zenpower
      Works great, thanks!

Still missing support for ITE8655E to monitor fans and other voltages...

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
        Still missing support for ITE8655E to monitor fans and other voltages...
        You're unlikely to get that ever, as there's no it87 maintainer. You can compile the out-of-kernel module and then hope it'll work when you force it:
        Code:
        modprobe it87 force_id=0x8622
        There's other values for force_id, but they don't seem to make a difference. Voltage readings are unlikely to be correct, but fan control will be there at least.

MartinM That's what happens when you compile zenpower but don't have Ryzen 3000 support in the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
          You're unlikely to get that ever, as there's no it87 maintainer. You can compile the out-of-kernel module and then hope it'll work when you force it:
          Code:
          modprobe it87 force_id=0x8622
          There's other values for force_id, but they don't seem to make a difference. Voltage readings are unlikely to be correct, but fan control will be there at least.

MartinM That's what happens when you compile zenpower but don't have Ryzen 3000 support in the kernel.
          Oh ?
          If you do not mind me asking can I patch the 5.1.0-050100-generic kernel and older to work with Ryzen 3000 ?
          Mind you I have never patched a kernel before. I just do not want to brick my system to see temps.
          I am a master of making my OS not boot by messing about and doing the wrong thing or forgetting something.

Comment

Not being in Linux 5.3 is very disappointing!

Comment

I'm still compiling in a year old IT87 dkms module just to get proper sensor readings on a Asus C7H/2700x.

People poked fun at Intel for their internal 'pillars of success' memo, but they aren't lying on the software side of things. AMD doesn't corral their board partners in tight enough with software support.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                I'm still compiling in a year old IT87 dkms module just to get proper sensor readings on a Asus C7H/2700x.

People poked fun at Intel for their internal 'pillars of success' memo, but they aren't lying on the software side of things. AMD doesn't corral their board partners in tight enough with software support.
                This isn't an Intel vs. AMD thing. It's that MSI and Asrock use Nuvoton Super I/O chips, while Asus and Gigabyte use iTE chips. Whether it's an Intel or AMD board doesn't matter - you buy a Gigabyte or Asus board for Intel CPUs, you'll have the same problem. The crux of the issue is iTE, they don't provide public spec sheets for their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post

You're in luck. With that motherboard, you can get temps, voltages, and fan readings with asus-wmi-sensors: https://github.com/electrified/asus-wmi-sensors

Just make sure you're using at least BIOS 1002.

Comment

blueweb thank you so much, I will have to take a look at that, I hope it will lower the 207c degrees showed, more in line with perhaps 45-60c

Comment

Working...
                    X