Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISC-V's Kernel Support Continues Maturing With Linux 5.3

Phoronix: RISC-V's Kernel Support Continues Maturing With Linux 5.3

In-step with more RISC-V hardware becoming available over time, the Linux kernel architecture support for RISC-V has continued maturing and with Linux 5.3 is in better shape...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please suggest good Risc-V dev boards with linux support.

Comment

I am looking forward to some RPi style/priced RISC-V boards...

Comment

Open software on open hardware...

Someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Shtirlic View Post
          Please suggest good Risc-V dev boards with linux support.
          Check the list of RISC-V cores and SoCs. I think there is only the SiFive Freedom Unlimited and the PolarFire socs that supports Linux. The devkit costs $999.

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          Unfortunately it looks like there is none. I would really like to see that too!
          Check the list.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Check the list of RISC-V cores and SoCs. I think there is only the SiFive Freedom Unlimited and the PolarFire socs that supports Linux. The devkit costs $999.

Unfortunately it looks like there is none. I would really like to see that too!
            Check the list.
            once they can hit some economies of scale on a few designs, it might start being feasible

Comment

I hope all RISC-V support will be mainline, and that chips will be widely supported. It would be nice to avoid a dark age similar to that one with ARM.

Comment

once they can hit some economies of scale on a few designs, it might start being feasible
                It sucks to have to wait. I wish we already had cheap Linux-compatible SoCs. Hope we get that soon.

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                I hope all RISC-V support will be mainline, and that chips will be widely supported. It would be nice to avoid a dark age similar to that one with ARM.
                Yeah, I hope so too. Unfortunately, I believe not. I believe the situation will be the same as ARM, or even worse.
                At least there are some effort to standardize ARM boards intended for servers with ACPI.
                So with RISC-V it is likely to be the same problematic situation as ARM.

Comment

The HiFive1 is around that price. It has 16 kb ram, so think more microcontroller and less SBC.

Otherwise, we have to wait. You can always run one in QEMU, qemu-system-riscv64 last time I tried. You can play around with it and do tests.

Comment

Unfortunately nothing at the moment. Sadly this is exactly what RISC-V needs to get a volume platform going. Frankly I’d be very happy with a $100 board!!!!😜😜 Well I would be if the board had 8GB of RAM and some sort of port supporting modern SSD’s.

In other words I’d be willing to pay slightly more for a board that helps bootstrap the RISC- ecosystem. That board would have to perform as good or better than the ARM boards currently available.

I also dream about an open board built upon Apples A13 ARM chip that is coming. While I can’t see that ever really happening there is no doubt in my mind that Apple has really driven the rest of the ARM industry forward performance wise. It would be really nice to see such performance in a low cost Raspberry PI like board.

Comment

Working...
                    X