No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Linux Memory Scaling Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am more interested in budget friendly memory performance, for example 32GB ram, in combinations of 4x8GB(better resale value) or 2x16GB.
    Since ram prices went down now, i am considering to buy 32GB ram, just cant decide which option would be most cost effective in regards of performance and price.
    Widely available with a good price is DDR4 3333MHz with CL16, from various brands.
    Last edited by dado023; 10 July 2019, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dado023 View Post
      I am more interested in budget friendly memory performance, for example 32GB ram, in combinations of 4x8GB(better resale value) or 2x16GB.
      Since ram prices went down now, i am considering to buy 32GB ram, just cant decide which option would be most cost effective in regards of performance and price.
      Widely available with a good price is DDR4 3333MHz with CL16, from various brands.
      Do you think you might potentially want to go to 64GB eventually? If so, 2x16GB gives you that flexibility without having to replace everything.

Comment

Originally posted by rlkrlk View Post
        Do you think you might potentially want to go to 64GB eventually? If so, 2x16GB gives you that flexibility without having to replace everything.
        4x16GB is looking at 2666 speeds though.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
          4x16GB is looking at 2666 speeds though.
          I'm running 4x16GB at 3000 on an Asus Prime X470 Pro w/2700X and it has been solid. If you need 64 GB for what you're doing (I don't really -- yet -- but eventually I think I will), that's a lot more important than the clock speed of the RAM.

The DIMMs are G.Skill F4-3000C16-16GVRB
          Last edited by rlkrlk; 10 July 2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Zen 2 takes 32GB DIMMs, and the max is 128GB. But I see 32GB modules are still rare. Wondering what the top speed you can get with 128GB is.. I've yet to read anyone do better than 2666 with 64GB+Zen 1 (It's what I have on my 1700), and 3000 with 64GB+Zen 1+.

Getting 4x16GB 3200 CL16 today is definitely justified, pushing it to 3400 at CL18 might be possible at 64GB but probably not with 128GB. I don't have the patience for playing RAM+motherboard compatibility games, so just trying to get good speeds at good value. A Gentoo user can always use more RAM, and more RAM usually means you can delay the full upgrade cycle a bit.

Comment

What about with a B450 motherboard? The X570 boards are expensive and I have no need for PCIe 4.0.

Comment

Wow, those are some ugly looking RAM modules!

Zen2 looks to scale very nicely with memory bandwidth, up to a point. Would be nice to know pricing trends of DDR4 modules at tested speeds.
                Last edited by glock24; 11 July 2019, 03:22 PM. Reason: phone autocorrect seems to be on crack today.

Comment

for gaming you need 3200 CL14 for good IPC, and a cpu with high single thread performance, 3600X is perfect if you dont plan to livestream like a cam thot.

This test is kind of pointless without mentioning the timings.
                  Last edited by pheldens; 12 July 2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I get ~150-200 HD FPS on CS:GO highest settings with my 1700/64GB(CL16)+RX580. Switching from wireless to wired internet will probably get me the combined effect of low latency CL14 RAM/kernel/mouse/keyboard/monitor/router and then some. Spending the money on an end-to-end low latency setup might be worth it for those serious about FPS/RTS competitive games, but for those playing anything else, it's a much harder sell.

Compared to a human reaction time of 150-250ms, worrying about CL14 vs CL16 is pretty much snake oil.
                    Last edited by audir8; 12 July 2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by audir8 View Post
                      Compared to a human reaction time of 150-250ms, worrying about CL14 vs CL16 is pretty much snake oil.
                      You're misunderstanding the meaning of latency here.

If you're interested in decreasing latency, you're first thing to do is to move to all wired networking--wireless adds 8-10ms. The next step would be to get a fiber internet connection. For me, that saved about 30ms when I switched from cable: 32ms down to 2ms.

Comment

Working...
                      X