AMD Zen 2 + Radeon RX 5700 Series For Linux Expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"no Zen driver for CPU package power monitoring on Linux"
    Zen' Temperature , Vcore, RAPL power and energy consumed are monitored in CoreFreq
    CoreFreq is a CPU monitoring software designed for the 64-bits Processors. - cyring/CoreFreq
    Last edited by cyring; 12 June 2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
      Isn't 7nm with EUV due next year? Even that would be a small boost for next year's Ryzen chips.

Is there any news about a smaller Navi? Something at $249 would make a nice upgrade for my 290, finally. Otherwise I'm looking at used Vega stock.
      7nm with EUV at TSMC is 7FF+.

7FF+ vs 7FF in TSMC saves you some silicon size and some power. Max performance does not move a single bit.

Yes it called 6nm by TSMC is same power and and performance as 7FF+ but less silicon area required and is basically the 7nm with EUV refined.

7nm with EUV is not going to boost performance. Help with cooling(less power usage) and yield yes. Smaller the silicon area you are smaller the reject item due to defect is.

If the plan is to boost performance and I was AMD I would be targeting TSMC mass production of 5nm starting next year. Small batches of TSMC 5nm can be got now.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        You also need to divide that in 2
        the issue was price, so we better divide that by $500

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Danny3

yes I support this too, I've replaced all instances of Windows 10 Home with "Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB X64 OEM ESD ENU JAN 2019" (wink wink) and it's pretty good.

Running an unpatched system is just bad and stupid.
          For me spyware is a NO-GO, so I'll never install it on any home computer.
          But each one with its own choices.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Do what I did -- "obtain" a copy of Windows 10 LTSB (from Reddit). It's basically Windows 10 Pro with most of the crap that makes Windows 10 Home/Pro suck ass removed. I have a 10 Pro key (my old 7 Pro key) so I don't feel that guilty about "obtaining" the stripped down version and using it. IMHO, LTSB is what 10 Pro should be and all the stuff that 10 Pro adds should be in an "Enhanced Features" branch selectable from either the installer or the system update manager. That system-breaking crap really needs to be opt-in.

I do find it extremely funny that I alternate between Manjaro & Arch for fast updates, that I despise LTS Linux over a good rolling release model, and yet when it comes to Windows 10 the only version I'll run is their LTS version. Hopefully you'll figure it out Microsoft. It took Arch a while to get it all figured out so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you'll eventually get your rolling release model working better. Until then, however, I'm not gonna use it.

I feel that I should add that I don't normally promote "obtaining" software, but Windows 10 LTSB is one of those exceptions due to the "Pro" version being a continuous beta and untrustworthy.
            Thanks for the sugestion, but I don't make compromises when it comes to software, especially to the OS.
            People can remove just some stuff that Microsoft allows them, but the worst part is on the inside (the real spyware), it's built-in.
            I would rather use Windows 7 until Linux will become a real alternative to it and switch to Linux completely that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              For me spyware is a NO-GO, so I'll never install it on any home computer.
              The LTSB lacks spyware. It only has the basic "sending crash reports" thing that you also find in Win7 and XP.

Comment

Thanks for the sugestion, but I don't make compromises when it comes to software, especially to the OS.
                People can remove just some stuff that Microsoft allows them, but the worst part is on the inside (the real spyware), it's built-in.
                I would rather use Windows 7 until Linux will become a real alternative to it and switch to Linux completely that day.
                Picking between up-to-date software or supposedly more trustworthy software; using this until that is better; both of your reasons are compromises. I just feel the need to point out that discrepancy in your rebuttal.

It's also old news that Microsoft added their spyware to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. Unless you're using Windows 7 SP1 only updated up to mid-2015, you're just fooling yourself on the spyware argument since you'll already have it on a fully up-to-date Windows 7 unless you're doing the same tweaks and hacks people on 10 have to do...or use LTSB like we're suggesting and run the spyware tools just to be sure because that's the smart thing to do when dealing with Microsoft.

Since we have to do that spyware removal crap regardless of what Windows we're using, might as well be on Windows 10 LTSB with a Classic Shell type program. IMHO, it's a better compromise than running Windows 7 Out-of-Date Herpes Edition until Linux is good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Picking between up-to-date software or supposedly more trustworthy software; using this until that is better; both of your reasons are compromises. I just feel the need to point out that discrepancy in your rebuttal.

It's also old news that Microsoft added their spyware to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. Unless you're using Windows 7 SP1 only updated up to mid-2015, you're just fooling yourself on the spyware argument since you'll already have it on a fully up-to-date Windows 7 unless you're doing the same tweaks and hacks people on 10 have to do...or use LTSB like we're suggesting and run the spyware tools just to be sure because that's the smart thing to do when dealing with Microsoft.

Since we have to do that spyware removal crap regardless of what Windows we're using, might as well be on Windows 10 LTSB with a Classic Shell type program. IMHO, it's a better compromise than running Windows 7 Out-of-Date Herpes Edition until Linux is good enough.
                  In my opinion using Windows 7 SP1 with disabled updates plus just a handful of manually handpicked updates and some alternative protection is the best option.
                  Spyware is the main reason that I don't like Windows 10, but it's definitely not the only one.
                  Forced updates is also another good reason why I don't like it.
                  Also it brings no performance improvements over Windows 7, but it brings a lot of problems.
                  I've been using Windows 7 for years without any problems and I'm happy.
                  In the meantime I like to support Linux as much as possible since Microsoft cannot be trusted anymore, hence no newer Windows version can be trusted.

Comment

In my opinion using Windows 7 SP1 with disabled updates plus just a handful of manually handpicked updates and some alternative protection is the best option.
                    Spyware is the main reason that I don't like Windows 10, but it's definitely not the only one.
                    Forced updates is also another good reason why I don't like it.
                    Also it brings no performance improvements over Windows 7, but it brings a lot of problems.
                    I've been using Windows 7 for years without any problems and I'm happy.
                    In the meantime I like to support Linux as much as possible since Microsoft cannot be trusted anymore, hence no newer Windows version can be trusted.
                    While I don't agree, I can't really fault you for going that route since either way one has to deal with bullshit. The little I use Windows, I like knowing that I have better program support and features like DX12 available.

LTSB is the best compromise, for me, since it has the latest stuff, there are no forced updates (it's for enterprise so it can actually be disabled), and it contains the same stuff I'd have to mitigate if I were on Windows 7 and kept it up-to-date since Microsoft backported all that crap.

I'd rather work around the limitations and annoyances of 10 than I would 7. I also suppose that going DOS > Win 3.1 > Win9x > 2k > XP WTF is that UI, kill it with fire > Debian > Other Distros & OS's > Arch > Manjaro > dual w/ 10 Pro > Manjaro > Manjaro > dual with 10 LTSB doesn't help 7 since I really don't like the 7 or XP interfaces...or 10, but I'm compromising...Seriously, I completely skipped Windows 7 to 8.1 outside of having to use them on other peoples' systems. All I wanted was a proper update to Windows 2000..so naturally I found Debian with XFCE and eventually made my way to Arch and family where I've been happy for the past 12 or so years.

Speaking of Debain and XFCE, did that user finally get banned or something?

Comment

Working...
                    X