Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Zen 2 + Radeon RX 5700 Series For Linux Expectations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    I understand AndyChow opinion... in the context of the last six months of rumors the news that was leaked and the analysts opinions, I had an opinion of Zen2 and especially navi being much more of a market disruptor than this, remember, there were announcements of ridiculously low prices, it was said that you could get 580 performance for 150 bucks!!! just crazy!. It was also said that AMD rtx 2070 equivalent was going to be cheaper, a lot cheaper. Now I suppose it was all a smoke screen to pump AMD stock prices. But anyways, it's still a market disruptor, but not what I expected, when I jumped from my FX to Ryzen I got a crazy amount of performance increment like above 50%, if you tell me there is an increment of 20%, it's an excellent news but not quite the leap frog we had from the FX to Ryzen. There was a lot of bs said by tech news sites.
    Don't get my wrong Zen2 is still impressive what annoys me is how tech news site write such amount of bs. (not phoronix of course)
    Last edited by Kayote; 11 June 2019, 12:44 AM.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Kayote View Post
      I understand AndyChow opinion... in the context of the last six months of rumors the news that was leaked and the analysts opinions, I had an opinion of Zen2 and especially navi being much more of a market disruptor than this, remember, there were announcements of ridiculously low prices, it was said that you could get 580 performance for 150 bucks!!! just crazy!. It was also said that AMD rtx 2070 equivalent was going to be cheaper, a lot cheaper. Now I suppose it was all a smoke screen to pump AMD stock prices. But anyways, it's still a market disruptor, but not what I expected, when I jumped from my FX to Ryzen I got a crazy amount of performance increment like above 50%, if you tell me there is an increment of 20%, it's an excellent news but not quite the leap frog we had from the FX to Ryzen. There was a lot of bs said by tech news sites.
      Don't get my wrong Zen2 is still impressive what annoys me is how tech news site write such amount of bs. (not phoronix of course)
      If you thought Navi was going to be much better than this, I think you haven't been paying close enough attention to AMD the last 5 years. Prices might be slightly higher than expected, but this is right around what most people have been saying.

      As for Ryzen, you might actually get 50% on single-threaded apps if you include overclocking. Ryzen 1 was a good CPU, but it was also pretty flawed in some areas. What's exciting to me about the new one is that it seems to have fixed the flaws while keeping it's strengths. Price, again, is perhaps slightly higher than I might have liked but that's what happens when you have the best hardware rather than trying to play catchup from behind.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by cusa123 View Post
        Amd
        https://www.amd.com/en/products/grap...th-anniversary
        OS Support
        Windows 10 - 64-Bit Edition
        Windows 7 - 64-Bit Edition
        Ubuntu x86 64-Bit
        Linux x86_64
        As long as it comes with support for Windows 7 and Linux, I'm happy about it.

        Comment


        • #24
          I read quite a hilarious article on Hexus about Intel challenging AMD Zen 2 on gaming.....

          https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/1315...-world-gaming/

          Intel, is that with ALL security mitigations enabled to cover for your security design fuck-ups because your Phoronix benchmarks look for sorry reading ?

          That shows Intel are really worried.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Exactly, but then please explain, how can a $500 processor have 70MB of cache (which would belong to a jewel-priced processor) as seen in the slide?
            Makes perfect sense once you remember this beast is chiplet.

            1 master chipet + 2 cpu chiplets make up the 70MB cache chip. Basically 2 really goodish Ryzen 5 3600x cpu chiplets inside 1 Ryzen 9 3900X. So 35+35=70MB. Please note those are 6 core joined. Issue here is each cpu chiplet should be 8 cores. A chiplet with 6 cores have had 2 cores disabled due to being possibly defective. So the $499 chip is not perfect silicon. The 249 of the Ryzen5 3600x is 1 master chiplet + 1 cpu chiplet + 1 heatspreader... Hmm there is a problem here why is the Rysen 9 3900x twice the price of the Ryzen 5 3600x. Rysen 9 3900x not twice the material Rysen 9 3900x it only 1 extra chiplet.

            tildearrow I guess you were not thinking at all that the Rysen 9 3900x is in fact over priced.

            When you think 36 Megs of cache per 8 cores. Thread ripper made around this 3000 tech is going to have 8 chiplets 288Meg of cache and 64 cores and 128 threads. So 70MB of cache in AMD line up is going to be in the low end cpus. 72MB of cache you should expect on its 16 core version.

            Time will tell there might be the same master chiplet this first line of chiplet based cpu out of AMD. This could mean that all the chips we are looking at here have partly defective master chiplet that are not suitable for threadrippers end up in this list of chips. So every single silicon part in a Rysen 9 3900x could in fact contain silicon defects.

            AMD maybe doing a good job of waste not want not.

            I really do wonder why the two Ryzens in chip graphics are so specification nuked. Ie the Ryzen 5 3400G and Ryzen 3 3200G. Its like they have consume the cache to make the in chip graphics.

            Comment


            • #26
              Calling the L3 cache "gamecache" is so dumb. I hate these marketing guys sometimes.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
                Calling the L3 cache "gamecache" is so dumb. I hate these marketing guys sometimes.
                They are trying to shake the reputation that intel is for gaming and AMD are for compiling kernels.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

                  I really do wonder why the two Ryzens in chip graphics are so specification nuked. Ie the Ryzen 5 3400G and Ryzen 3 3200G. Its like they have consume the cache to make the in chip graphics.
                  The APUs are a generation behind, as they were before. They still sport Zen+. Zen 2 APUs are expected with Renoir next year.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                    I don't like that the 570 chipset requires a fan
                    It's not my favorite either, but you can use a 400-series board or wait for the B550, which probably won't have PCI-e 4.0 that requires a fan.

                    It's also possible that there will be boards with bigger heatsinks and/or heatpipes (like in the days of nForce4 chipsets). Or you could rig up your own passive cooling solution.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      The thing that peaked my interest the most in these Zen2 announcements was how they're essentially cost-reducing the Threadripper/X399 platform with the R9-series and X570 chipset. At my job we already use the Threadripper/X399 platform as our recommended new workstation platform and this reducing the cost of it all makes it an even more appealing prospect.

                      Been thinking about building a new machine for work since last spring, but haven't really been able to justify it so far. However having just last week "orphaned" two fairly expensive workstation GPUs after I "re-GPU:d" a machine we rent out, use as a target-test and use a demo machine at trade shows with Quadro RTXs and having decided to use those GPUs for another machine for similar purposes, this fits the bill rather perfectly.

                      Now to convince my boss to give me the go-ahead with this system build...
                      "Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X