A Look At How The Linux Performance Has Evolved Since The AMD EPYC Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At How The Linux Performance Has Evolved Since The AMD EPYC Launch

Phoronix: A Look At How The Linux Performance Has Evolved Since The AMD EPYC Launch

With next-generation EPYC processors expected to be released next quarter, it's a good time to see how the performance of the original EPYC 7601 32-core / 64-thread processor's performance has evolved on Linux since its 2017 launch. This article is looking at the performance of an AMD EPYC 7601 Tyan server when running Ubuntu 17.04 as the newest stable Ubuntu release when EPYC was originally introduced in June 2017 compared to the performance when running the new Ubuntu 19.04 as well as jumping ahead to running the in-development Linux 5.2 kernel release. Additionally, the Ubuntu 19.04 + Linux 5.2 kernel configuration when also disabling Spectre mitigations.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think "Ubuntu 16.04 + Linux 5.2 + No Spec" in the graphs should be "Ubuntu 19.04 + Linux 5.2 + No Spec".

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
      I think "Ubuntu 16.04 + Linux 5.2 + No Spec" in the graphs should be "Ubuntu 19.04 + Linux 5.2 + No Spec".
      Whoops yeah typo.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
        Fixed now, thanks.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

FS operations: as much as twice as fast!

Glad to be an AMD customer right now. They performed adequately at launch, and now they're stellar.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Fixed now, thanks.
            Two more:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            This EPYC 7601 server was equipped with 128GB of DDR4 memory an an Intel Optane 900p 800GB NVMe SSD for storage.
            Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            These performance improvements are a clumination of both AMD/Zen-specific improvements
            I never catch number typos!

Comment

Like intel, but instead its getting better with time

Comment

Times kernel compilation is around 30's seconds but when I truly build a kernel with Intel NHM, SNB, SKL processors, it takes 20-30 minutes !

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
                  Like intel, but instead its getting better with time
                  Ryzen and EPYC vs Skylake++++. It's just like the early 2000's all over again, when it was Athlon64/Opteron vs Netburst trash & dead-end Itanium. AMD FTW!
                  Last edited by torsionbar28; 07 June 2019, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Two more:

I never catch number typos!
                    I don't care about misspelled words, but when Ubuntu 16 wins most benchmarks, a typo isn't the first explanation that comes to mid.

Comment

Working...
                    X