Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Still Yields Better Multi-Threaded Performance On AMD Threadripper Against Windows 10 May 2019 Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux Still Yields Better Multi-Threaded Performance On AMD Threadripper Against Windows 10 May 2019 Update

    Phoronix: Linux Still Yields Better Multi-Threaded Performance On AMD Threadripper Against Windows 10 May 2019 Update

    Curious whether the recent Microsoft Windows 10 Version 1903 (May 2019 Update) improved the multi-threaded performance at all for the likes of the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX, I recently carried out some benchmarks looking at Windows 10 1903 against the former Windows 10 Version 1809 release benchmarked against both Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS and the latest Ubuntu 19.04.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27909

  • #2
    How can you say Ubuntu has better multithreading support and not different compiler?
    I can't see any reference to the compiler used for windows and linux platforms, to sort the thing out you should at least compile the benchmarks with the very same compiler and compiler options, otherwise this is not an os-to-os confrontation

    Comment


    • #3
      Darktable broken on Linux? There is no way a CPU-bound application has 20x speedup on another platform unless something is seriously fubared.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by blackshard View Post
        How can you say Ubuntu has better multithreading support and not different compiler?
        I can't see any reference to the compiler used for windows and linux platforms, to sort the thing out you should at least compile the benchmarks with the very same compiler and compiler options, otherwise this is not an os-to-os confrontation
        I imagine in both cases, Michael used the official binaries as published by the author/distro. The compiler would therefore be the "default" one, and that's all that matters. An end user will not be compiling any code, especially on Windows. If Michael did custom builds of these apps, the benchmarks would be meaningless, since literally nobody else would be using his binaries. It's not an "os-to-os" comparison, it's an OS+app vs OS+app comparison i.e. "real world" scenario.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 05-27-2019, 11:42 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          FFmpeg results:

          - Windows 10 Pro 1809: 280.43fps
          - Windows 10 Pro 1903: 317.08fps
          - Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS: 227.77fps
          - Ubuntu 19.04: 228.57fps

          (formula: 64.75*(30*1000/1001)/time)

          I'm pretty sure Microsoft has made a deal with Canonical to cripple this benchmark on purpose...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            FFmpeg results:
            ...
            I'm pretty sure Microsoft has made a deal with Canonical to cripple this benchmark on purpose...
            what?

            Comment


            • #7
              Heh.

              It must be a difficult task to make your presentation and pretend that your most important partner (revenue wise), is stabbing your top of the line consumer CPU in the back. I cannot help myself but to think "lying b****" to the MS representative, while she talk about all the "wonderful" things MS is doing together with its best pal AMD. And while the Microsoftee regurgitates all that corporation talk crap, you can see Lisa Su thinking "yeah yeah, but can you fix your crap Windows scheduler so Threadripper doesn't look so bad on Windows?":

              at 1:20:08

              Last edited by [email protected]; 05-27-2019, 12:28 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                Darktable broken on Linux? There is no way a CPU-bound application has 20x speedup on another platform unless something is seriously fubared.
                I believe he is comparing 2.6.2 (Windows) to 2.6.0 and 2.4.2 (Ubuntu) It would be worth trying the upstream ppa on Ubuntu, and if not fixed making a bug report.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                  How can you say Ubuntu has better multithreading support and not different compiler?
                  Of course it has. Not only Ubuntu, but every up to date Linux distribution.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post

                    what?
                    .yes.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X