X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by discordian View Post
    As said, the unilateral blockade completely undermines their purpose, so you don't have to argue with me about that. IANAL but I dont think they can just say "No".
    Sorry, not arguing. Just vent up

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Given what they are, I don't think there is any real reason to not just move to another country. It's not like they NEED to have their HQ in the USA.
    Yeah, they should moved.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Wi-Fi is different I think, no physical connectors.
    No it isn't. The type of connection is irrelevant.

Associations that define standards are selling a trademark, a brand or something that can be used to proof that the buyer company has passed their test.

For Wifi is the "Wi-Fi" brand and the logo. To be allowed to use it you need to be a member and the device should have passed compliance tests.

Same for USB and whatever else.

This does not mean that you can't make devices that comply PERFECTLY to spec, it just means that you can't advertise them as compatible or compliant. As long as you are in a country that enforces these things anyway.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by t.s. View Post
    I think they are not bound by US or any other countries Law.
    Both Wifi Alliance and SD Associations are physical non-profit associations with HQ in the US (Texas and California), this means they are subject to US regulations.

Given what they are, I don't think there is any real reason to not just move to another country. It's not like they NEED to have their HQ in the USA.

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    I think they are not bound by US or any other countries Law. If you're companies affiliated with USA that have trading with Huawei, then yes, you are bound by that law. But those 2 aren't. Those 2 just entities that set standards for WiFi and SD Cards. Meaning: "If you want to join us to set standards for {SD Cards | WiFi}, you're welcome. The more the merrier. We aspire to set standards for {SD Cards | WiFi} for this earth--so there's no multiple implementation for, like, phone charger decade ago." These kind of entities is by no means can they be dictated by one or more countries, moreover affected or influenced by trade wars.
    Wi-Fi is different I think, no physical connectors. Their headquarter is in the USA so the country definitely has some leverage over that legal entity.

So, it's funny they block or kick one or more companies because trade wars and choose to side with country(ies) (in this case, USA). Imagine: what if, before that idiot can sign that order, PRC sign another order to blacklist Apple first. I dare betting those 2 entities will not comply. They are asshole, and that's what asshole do.
    As said, the unilateral blockade completely undermines their purpose, so you don't have to argue with me about that. IANAL but I dont think they can just say "No".

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    They are still bound by US Law (and the orange idiot placed Huawei on a blacklist), its not their decision. They could (and should) moan about the effective undermining of global standards, but not acting by the law would get them into trouble.
    They could (and REALLY FUCKING SHOULD) move their HQ to a neutral country to avoid having to obey this kind of bs.

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied

They are still bound by US Law (and the orange idiot placed Huawei on a blacklist), its not their decision. They could (and should) moan about the effective undermining of global standards, but not acting by the law would get them into trouble.
    I think they are not bound by US or any other countries Law. If you're companies affiliated with USA that have trading with Huawei, then yes, you are bound by that law. But those 2 aren't. Those 2 just entities that set standards for WiFi and SD Cards. Meaning: "If you want to join us to set standards for {SD Cards | WiFi}, you're welcome. The more the merrier. We aspire to set standards for {SD Cards | WiFi} for this earth--so there's no multiple implementation for, like, phone charger decade ago." These kind of entities is by no means can they be dictated by one or more countries, moreover affected or influenced by trade wars.

So, it's funny they block or kick one or more companies because trade wars and choose to side with country(ies) (in this case, USA). Imagine: what if, before that idiot can sign that order, PRC sign another order to blacklist Apple first. I dare betting those 2 entities will not comply. They are asshole, and that's what asshole do.

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    Yes. And a dick moves by WiFi Alliances & SD Card Association. They supposed to be neutral.

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by mlau View Post

All the Huawei-hate of late.
    Yes. And a dick moves by WiFi Alliances & SD Card Association. They supposed to be neutral.

Regarding Cortex A77, What I want to see is usable convergence linux based phone with big battery and excellent physical keyboard that can be docked to connect to external monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc (like business laptop do).

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
    Yep, as long as ARM's graphics team is giving the finger to Linux I'm not going to be remotely excited about their offerings.
    true, but A77 with 20% IPC over A76 is remarkable..

Leave a comment:

• Space Heater
    replied
    Yep, as long as ARM's graphics team is giving the finger to Linux I'm not going to be remotely excited about their offerings.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X