Intel Core i9 9900KS Allowing 5.0GHz All-Core, Icelake News Coming This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Well. I wouldn't take it as far as criminal.
    But since they do cause an efficiency hit to fulfill safety I would pull the plug on their sales until they got their shit together.
    Also, I am very skeptical about how Intel chooses to declare TDP on their products. I call absolute bullshit on the TDP numbers they are publishing.

TDP according to Intel:
    "Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. Refer to Datasheet for thermal solution requirements."

Yeah. Intel defined workload. Base frequency. Average power. What a bunch of crap.
    Criminal is maybe a bit much. But they've released the entire 9th gen as a souped up 8th gen, throwing efficiency put of the window and throwing caution to the wind. They might feel the need to release a product every year, but they should at least tried to tweak their 14nm architecture somewhat to at the very least mitigate the security issues.

Comment

uh? tables turn now, Intel having hundreds of problems with mitigations, manufacturing issues with their 10nm. Intel is playing catch up now? who would have guessed they are creating a frankencpu like the FX, yeah faster clocks but all around a crap.
      Last edited by Mel Spektor; 26 May 2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

It's been well known that Intels TDP claims are beyond crap. There was an extensive test series on AnandTech showing how their 95W CPUs guzzled up almost twice of that. TDP used to mean maximum heat dissipation or the cooling capability you need to cool the device under all conditions. This hasn't been the case with Intel products for a long time. As mentioned in another comment, the TDP values are now referencing some fairly arbitrary state (no boost, base frequency, hand-selected workload). So the 5Ghz KS CPU is little more than what we already have. The only difference might be that it will crash many mainboards due to the lack of power supply at this level.

The other announcement is equally underwhelming. What they are basically saying is: Look, we have caught up in Graphics performance when comparing to the aging Vega architecture that is about to be replaced while using a newer fabrication node (10nm vs 12nm, which is basically non-Intel 14+).

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
          Will it require a 1.5kW chiller like that 28-core all 5GHz demo?
          No, only a truckload of liquid Nitrogen per day

Comment

10ms 5ghz 10 ms 1ghz 10ms...will they do it in PWM Mode?

Comment

Does it turn into a 1.8 ghz Celeron when fully mitigated?

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post

Criminal is maybe a bit much. But they've released the entire 9th gen as a souped up 8th gen, throwing efficiency put of the window and throwing caution to the wind. They might feel the need to release a product every year, but they should at least tried to tweak their 14nm architecture somewhat to at the very least mitigate the security issues.
                You greatly underestimate the work needed, they have to redesign major parts of their entire architecture in order to fully mitigate the issues on the hardware level. Add to that that the generation released now is something that they started to work and design several years ago.

Combine that with the fact that far from everyone needs these mitigations and thus as they see it the software fixes is adequate for the people who really needs it while every one else can enjoy the benefits of speculative predictions and HT.

Comment

Intel needs to release this so the top cpu has the same performance as the earlier top cpu with security fixes.

Comment

I'm wondering if Intel's 5 GHz launch has anything to do with rumors that Zen 3 can pull 5 GHz... I guess we'll have to see

Comment

Im protected for smoke seller mitigations.

Comment

Working...
                      X