Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Performance Impact Of MDS / Zombieload Plus The Overall Cost Now Of Spectre/Meltdown/L1TF/MDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Performance Impact Of MDS / Zombieload Plus The Overall Cost Now Of Spectre/Meltdown/L1TF/MDS

Phoronix: The Performance Impact Of MDS / Zombieload Plus The Overall Cost Now Of Spectre/Meltdown/L1TF/MDS

The past few days I've begun exploring the performance implications of the new Microarchitectural Data Sampling "MDS" vulnerabilities now known more commonly as Zombieload. As I shared in some initial results, there is a real performance hit to these mitigations. In this article are more MDS/Zombieload mitigation benchmarks on multiple systems as well as comparing the overall performance impact of the Meltdown/Spectre/Foreshadow/Zombieload mitigations on various Intel CPUs and also AMD CPUs where relevant.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hello. I am extremely confused by the following picture: https://openbenchmarking.org/embed.p...ha=30a8bc6&p=2

The performance impact on 9900k in this test is noticeably bigger than in other tests, and given it has 8 cores instead of 6 that may be an interesting finding.

What I suspect is that buffer flushes require wait till full stop of the execution on all cores. If anyone could test this on some 14-28 core Xeon, it may confirm or deny this.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex/AT View Post
      Hello. I am extremely confused by the following picture: https://openbenchmarking.org/embed.p...ha=30a8bc6&p=2

The performance impact on 9900k in this test is noticeably bigger than in other tests, and given it has 8 cores instead of 6 that may be an interesting finding.

What I suspect is that buffer flushes require wait till full stop of the execution on all cores. If anyone could test this on some 14-28 core Xeon, it may confirm or deny this.
      I'll have large core Xeon results ~Monday.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for the tests. One thing that has me thinking now... the impact on context switching. I wonder how badly it directly effects general multi tasking. Would be interesting to see a stress type test where a few different standard tests are run concurrently, just to see if the impact is greater then expected if multi tasking type context switching is going on.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

I tried turning off hyperthreading on my laptop a few days ago. No noticeable difference so far. I'll compile a kernel this weekend and see if it's agonizingly slow, although from these benchmarks I don't expect to see a real difference.

Comment

Thanks for PostgreSQL test! Would be interesting to how much all of this is impact virtualization.

Comment

Heavy context switching is a disaster for Intel chips now. Ugh.

Comment

Those 16% don't even account for Intel disabling TSX on some CPUs too (like mine) :/

Comment

Well, on the bright side, that only wipes out 2 years of performance gains. Could be worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X