Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDS: The Newest Speculative Execution Side-Channel Vulnerability

Phoronix: MDS: The Newest Speculative Execution Side-Channel Vulnerability

Intel just disclosed a new speculative execution side-channel vulnerability in its processors similar to the existing Spectre/L1TF vulnerabilities. This new disclosure is called the Microarchitectural Data Sampling (MDS)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good that the Kernel developers introduced the new switch to turn all of these mitigations off easier. It would be hard to remember all of these.

Comment

Oh come on already! 😭Edit: Double come on with uid getting the best out of me!
      Last edited by tildearrow; 14 May 2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

To be fair, this sounds like a simple fix (clear the damn buffers!) that shouldn't cost much if anything in performance.

Comment

does it affect AMD?

Comment

Comment

The zombieload paper didn't visibly mention AMD, but I guess they tried at some intel boxes first. Hopefully someone will test on other CPUs/APUs, too.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I guess it's time for the another vulnerability that will slow down Intel chips even more. I'll have to enjoy my chips while they're still fast. With how things are looking, maybe the best bet is to go back to early chips that weren't cutting corners (even older than 486) to improve performance and try to make them bearable by putting in SIMD instructions and a huge cache, or maybe abandon x86 for everything besides (offline) video games, where it seems to do well enough.

How long will it take for OpenBSD to refuse to boot on Intel chips because of how insecure they are?

The sad thing is that mentioned hardware mitigations make new chips more vulnerable to the fallout bug.

Comment

Intel, processors designed by monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
                    does it affect AMD?
                    Same as for meltdown and l1tf

Code:
                    :~$ cat  /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds
                    [B]Not affected[/B]

Comment

Working...
                    X