Some AMD CPUs Might Lose RdRand Randomness Following Suspend/Resume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some AMD CPUs Might Lose RdRand Randomness Following Suspend/Resume

Phoronix: Some AMD CPUs Might Lose RdRand Randomness Following Suspend/Resume

Systemd developers are sounding the alarms that some AMD processors might lose randomness (yielding non-random data) via the RdRand instruction following a suspend/resume alarm. However, initial indications don't appear for this to be some glaring widespread issue and might be limited to the older AMD CPUs and/or BIOS/motherboard combination...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That error kind of suggest the RdRand implimentation in those processors is software based, and thus has a state that can be zeroed and made predictable. Either that or some combo where a pseudo-random generator is feed from a true (thermal) random source, but only on powerup(??)

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
      That error kind of suggest the RdRand implimentation in those processors is software based, and thus has a state that can be zeroed and made predictable. Either that or some combo where a pseudo-random generator is feed from a true (thermal) random source, but only on powerup(??)
      easy there. It might just be that the BIOS driver does not initialize properly the thing on resume.

Comment

IRONY=True
        Intel does not need suspend resumebto enable this "feature"
        IRONY=False

Torvalds shoots down call to yank 'backdoored' Intel RdRand in Linux crypto
        'We actually know what we are doing. You don't' says kernel boss
        By Gavin Clarke 10 Sep 2013

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

easy there. It might just be that the BIOS driver does not initialize properly the thing on resume.
          It could easily be. I was just wondering _why_ it needed initialization.

Comment

In testing I found the RdRand implementation in Ryzen to be pretty slow anyways. I had already set the "nordrand" kernel parameter on all my Linux boxes to boost entropy generation. Looks like I was going down the right path.

There has been a lot of healthy debate over the need to include rdrand as an entropy source anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

It could easily be. I was just wondering _why_ it needed initialization.
              Could be something simple like bias level calibration, or something more Intel-esque like a non-random debug mode being entered. Without detailed info on the chip design, no way to know -- which is also why such RNGs should not be trusted for sensitive applications.

Comment

It might be that the seed value from the entropy conditionner is no longer updated after resume.

I read this: http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/m...or-Library.pdf

Didn't understand much of it, but someone smarter than me might figure it out. This bug was reported from at least 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                  That is for Zen. The problem is pre-Zen.

Comment

Not a big problem, the Excavator-based CPUs weren't very popular...

Comment

Working...
                    X