Benchmarking A 10-Core Tyan/IBM POWER Server For ~$300 USD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by niroin00 View Post
    The tyan BMC firmware uses root:superuser as default userass. After flashing reset settings in the web interface.
    Unfortunately, this combination doesn't work for me. I've tried all combinations of admin, root, superuser and sysadmin in both lowecase and uppercase for user and password.

The default on the older BMC version is ADMIN/admin and I'd be very surprised if the newer version changed this (especially since it is not documented anywhere I've looked), so I'm more inclined to think this is a result of an improper flashing procedure.

Comment

• I remember reading on twitter, from a former IBM engineer IIRC, that the habanero's weak point was "chinese quality" power distribution after the PSU. He said that was not duplicated, and it was one of the most common failures. Looks like you hit that. The seller page says they have a 12mo warranty, but if it's too much trouble to send back, you could try replacing the faulty components yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
        I remember reading on twitter, from a former IBM engineer IIRC, that the habanero's weak point was "chinese quality" power distribution after the PSU. He said that was not duplicated, and it was one of the most common failures. Looks like you hit that. The seller page says they have a 12mo warranty, but if it's too much trouble to send back, you could try replacing the faulty components yourself.
        Well… I didn't want to hear that. :-) The question is, how to determine what failed – and if it is an SMT component, I won't be able to replace it anyway. The BMC is running fine, so the board is not all dead, but the “Rail 7” is incomprehensible to me. Anyway, thanks for the input, I'll try contacting the seller.

Comment

• To anyone still using these servers, the caddys from https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chenbro-SK3...8AAOSw4pJduwn4 fit perfectly. It was a pain to find the original ones, so I just took the pictures from the manual and tried to find the ones that looked the closest to the originals. No way im paying ibm 100 usd for a piece of plastic.

Comment

Working...
          X