X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The web page says 16 available.

Comment

Originally posted by illuhad View Post

Great to hear that! Have you also tried OMP_PROC_BIND=spread? This also gave me some significant speedups, as it forces the threads to be pinned and distributed over the cores.
      IIRC this also helps, but not sure now how much. But certainly helps too! Thanks, Karel

Comment

Hi got one of the machines too one of the machines too some points:
        • 8 Sticks of Samsung 8GB (1Rx4 PC3L-12800R M393B1G70QH0-YK0) work fine
        • The newest self compiled PNOR from Git works(after power reset), but with one issue: Apparently it is not compatible to the BMC firmware, the BMC is no longer accessible (Website etc.) IPMI utils show only a very reduced set of sensors (Processor only) -> To those who tried this did you notice the same issue?
        • As another user I can not get the 10G network to work, driver seems to be install already (Ubuntu 19.04) but I can not get the interface up any hints?
        • Anyone tried overclocking? There is the instruction from Raptor for their machine (Power9): https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/POWER9/Overclocking
        • One Note: If you want to reduce power Consumption (and do not need performance right now) you can disable Cores: Idle power consumption of the processor itself drops quite dramatically (50W (10C) -> 15W (2C) ): sudo ppc64_cpu --cores-on=2

Comment

Hi,

if somebody bought this server and finds it unusable, I would like to buy it. Please contact me.

Comment

Managed to snag 1, I wanted 2 but they were already sold out.
            So best performance is with 16 sticks installed in the blue and white slots, right?

Comment

Originally posted by musengy View Post
              Hi got one of the machines too one of the machines too some points:
              • 8 Sticks of Samsung 8GB (1Rx4 PC3L-12800R M393B1G70QH0-YK0) work fine
              • The newest self compiled PNOR from Git works(after power reset), but with one issue: Apparently it is not compatible to the BMC firmware, the BMC is no longer accessible (Website etc.) IPMI utils show only a very reduced set of sensors (Processor only) -> To those who tried this did you notice the same issue?
              • As another user I can not get the 10G network to work, driver seems to be install already (Ubuntu 19.04) but I can not get the interface up any hints?
              • Anyone tried overclocking? There is the instruction from Raptor for their machine (Power9): https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/POWER9/Overclocking
              • One Note: If you want to reduce power Consumption (and do not need performance right now) you can disable Cores: Idle power consumption of the processor itself drops quite dramatically (50W (10C) -> 15W (2C) ): sudo ppc64_cpu --cores-on=2
              I installed CentOS 7 and it recognized the card and enabled DHCP automatically, I received an 8 core model with a Mellanox 10G Ethernet card.
              Is there any reason to compile your own PNOR? I just flashed 1.01 and it works fine. Also my BMC came with some strange version of the Megarac+AMI software, I force flashed the latest BMC hpm from tyan and now then fans drop to 6000 rpm on idle, before they were at 11000 at minimum.

Also, has anyone added HDD caddies to this? I'd like to know which ones are compatible.
              I found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptec-ASR...cAAOSwPmVcDkUT, looks like it should work fine for the disk backplane.

Comment

The main reason to compile a new PNOR would be to boot from something the older one does not support (maybe some new m.2 model? etc). Otherwise I don't think the 1.01 version has any critical bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by niroin00 View Post
                  Also, has anyone added HDD caddies to this? I'd like to know which ones are compatible.
                  I couldn't find the Tyan part numbers anywhere, but the equivalent IBM server (S812LC) uses front drive carriers part number 01AF246. They should be the same, apart from the front-side plastic levers.

Originally posted by niroin00 View Post
                  I found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptec-ASR...cAAOSwPmVcDkUT, looks like it should work fine for the disk backplane.
                  It should – unless you want to boot from it, as the Tyan-made servers may not have firmware support. The original part from Tyan is Tyan Storage Mezzanine P3260-9235-12I SATA 6G Marvell 88SE9235. The original part from IBM (which possibly requires different firmware) is either PMC Adaptec RAID 71605E, part number 00WV552, also called FC EC3Y, or (with battery-backed cache) PMC Adaptec RAID 81605Z, part number 00WV554, also called FC EC3S.

Comment

Working...
                  X