Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.1 Getting A Minor Spectre V2 Retpolines Optimization For Select Instances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murple
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    No.

But if you need to compile your own kernel already for other reasons (which isn't as hard as it may seem), then you might as well set the additional things on compile time.
    Thanks. I don't mind compiling kernels but I wouldn't want to do it unnecessarily. I don't mind on a device where the kernel isn't updated often, but I try to run mainline as much as possible so it would be quite time consuming to maintain.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Yeah, this. Not much dependency hell.
    Why the fuck are you always dropping completely unrelated buzzwords lately?

How in the name of Jeezus are you relating the current situation, which is just choosing compile-time options of Linux kernel, to dependency hell.

Do you even know what is a Linux kernel, or what is dependency hell?

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    No.

But if you need to compile your own kernel already for other reasons (which isn't as hard as it may seem), then you might as well set the additional things on compile time.
    Yeah, this. Not much dependency hell.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Murple View Post
    Stupid question (but I'm sure I'll get a kind response lol) but is there any benefit to compiling the kernel without mitigations rather than switching the mitigations off at boot time with the kernel options?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• Murple
    replied
    Stupid question (but I'm sure I'll get a kind response lol) but is there any benefit to compiling the kernel without mitigations rather than switching the mitigations off at boot time with the kernel options?

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    For non debug and non retpoline kernels those idiots can not flag the stupid error message out.

Code:
    #ifdef CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL
    pr_err("Spectre mitigation: kernel not compiled with retpoline; no mitigation available!");
    #endif
    But you can though, so who cares?

Leave a comment:

• Linux 5.1 Getting A Minor Spectre V2 Retpolines Optimization For Select Instances

Phoronix: Linux 5.1 Getting A Minor Spectre V2 Retpolines Optimization For Select Instances

As the latest on the Spectre/Meltdown front for the Linux kernel, the in-development Linux 5.1 kernel is bringing an optimization for Retpolines "return trampolines" so GCC will generate more efficient code on x86/x86_64 in its mitigations against Spectre Variant Two...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X