Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Using an Intel CPU is like using a Ferrari with the handbrake active
    It is embarassing how slow they become with the mitigations enabled compared to stock: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...meltdown&num=1
    What's even more interesting is that mitigations have a *very* small effect on AMD CPUs compared to Intel and the gap is going to widen while more speculative attacks get discovered.
    Am I the only who doesn't notice any slowdowns with the mitigations enabled?

Comment

Is it just me or does it almost seem like Intel was doing things on the cheap? Instead of paying for the expensive R&D to shrink the die, they focused on cheap, exploitable workarounds and now are being found out. By the time all of the exploits are discovered and plugged, Intel chips may not be any faster than AMD is now at the same die size.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        Am I the only who doesn't notice any slowdowns with the mitigations enabled?
        The slowdowns are really only going to be noticeable on heavy loads. If you never max out your cores, your day to day experiences will have a negligible impact. To my understanding, this is especially true if your tasks don't need HT.

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
        Is it just me or does it almost seem like Intel was doing things on the cheap? Instead of paying for the expensive R&D to shrink the die, they focused on cheap, exploitable workarounds and now are being found out. By the time all of the exploits are discovered and plugged, Intel chips may not be any faster than AMD is now at the same die size.
        Well yeah of course. As far as I can tell, Intel is ready for a new architecture so they probably don't feel like spending the money revamping this aging one. It's faster, easier, and cheaper to just do software and microcode changes than it is to change the architecture. Your point about AMD being roughly the same speed is, to me, no coincidence. It wouldn't surprise me if AMD is showing what the true performance potential is when accounting for proper security. It seems every other month the IPC gap vs AMD is getting narrower and narrower, where at this point the only lead Intel has is lower latency and higher achievable clocks.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post

You do have a valid point though it is somewhat flawed. Today you can make an informed decision whether to buy a Intel or AMD CPU based on the number of known security issues with Intel but that wasn't the case before these issues became known. It's like buying an electric car thinking it's fine for your needs but when winter comes you discover that it won't start in sub-zero temperatures. It's unlikely that you'd have bought it if you knew beforehand. Those willing to pay extra for security would probably have gone another route if they knew. It's not like Intel didn't sit on the Meltdown issue for half a year pretending all was well while they off-loaded their defective-by-design CPUs onto unsuspecting customers.

I guess the FSB's right, the good old typewriter is the real security choice.
          I agree in principle. AMD has done a better job in keeping their processors in spec without some of the wackiness Intel's have exhibited. But that only goes to a certain point, because AMD has also suffered Spectre related issues and we don't know the full extent of their problems because research has largely been centered on Intel. Whether that's just because Intel's hardware is more available, or there's some other kind of bias is speculatory. I agree here that when Intel has been informed of problems the responsible thing is to inform customers right away so customers don't spend new money on broken hardware till there's a real fix.

Where I tend to disagree is for those who were paying attention, it was already known that shared resource computing was more than a theoretical risk. For the past several years there's been research into timing side channel attacks revealing various weaknesses in Intel's HyperThreading implementation that result in information leakage. How about the IME (and probably AMD PSP) vulnerabilities and exploits? There's the baseband module attacks that are actively under exploit. TPM also has it's own weaknesses that can be exploited

There's a lot of hype around speculative execution flaws, but to say that people would have chose otherwise if they knew (when it's clear "they" are still purchasing Intel hardware even now with disclosure of Spectre, Meltdown, LTSB, IME exploits, etc already exposed) is a bit naive. Security doesn't sell to the general public, and it pretty much doesn't sell to corporations when the price of security is more than the cost of liability. Those that "would have spent more on security" already did. They're using mainframes and other more secure platforms.

The only way to fix the problem in the general computing sector for the rest of us is to make the price of liability of breach significantly higher than the cost of a (more) secure infrastructure. That will require government intervention.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

To be reluctantly fair, most users don't want to pay for safety/security so it's not entirely Intel's fault. It's as much the fault of their customers as Intel's (including myself on some ocassions). Intel has largely delivered what their customers wanted. Cheap computing with a very strong backwards compatibility ethic. Only now we're getting the "past due" notice on the technical debt that was already in the mail over 20 years ago.

Adding after a moment thought: I wonder if or how much Itanium is vulnerable to speculative architecture attacks. I know POWER and ARM both have such vulnerabilities in their implementation.
            Did you just call intel CPUs cheaps? I somehow cant agree if so.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
              I have no doubt that the "mitigations" effects performance, what I don't believe is that without them any harm in a real world setting can actually take place and I defy anyone to show me an example where any of these "exploits" caused any real world harm.
              Belief based security model? That's a new one.

Comment

OK, I'm not a security nerd, so I'm only concerned with: What year will Intel ship a CPU that has all these metro/sectre/gay/spoiler/alert/whatever vulnerabilities fixed once and for all?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  OK, I'm not a security nerd, so I'm only concerned with: What year will Intel ship a CPU that has all these metro/sectre/gay/spoiler/alert/whatever vulnerabilities fixed once and for all?

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
                    Belief based security model? That's a new one.
                    Also called "titanic".

Although technically as long as they stay on Linux they are completely fine even if they run as root and install random crap from the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      Soon (tm)

Comment

Working...
                      X