Intel CPUs Reportedly Vulnerable To New "SPOILER" Speculative Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Lolwhat? How is an attack on a ship that occurred in 1967, relevant to a discussion about security vulnerabilities in IT equipment?
    Stop playing strawman now. It's as relevant as mentioning Russia and Iran in this thread.

Don't like intel CPU's? Feel free to switch to Longsoon or KaiXian or Dhyana. Or just use AMD, as these new SPOILER vulnerabilities don't apply. Never attribute to malice, what can plausibly be explained as incompetence. Thinking like yours is what creates conflicts.

Anyone who's been around IT for a while (not you, it seems) clearly recognizes these flaws for what they are. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I.e. No tin foil hat required.
    Yep, they're result of insecurity by design which makes me wonder if there are so many idiots in CPU business or perhaps, these vulnerabilities were introduced intentionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Wojcian View Post

Yep, they're result of insecurity by design which makes me wonder if there are so many idiots in CPU business or perhaps, these vulnerabilities were introduced intentionally.
      I think it likely that profits drove CPU design rather than security. If the engineers say the preferred CPU design is also slow, I much doubt the executives would go for that. But if the engineers design something fast, but possibly insecure, I think the executives would go for it. So long as profits continue to come in.

Interestingly, stock analysts continue to rate Intel as a "buy" despite disturbing patterns in their security practices. To customers, the product and its utility are the whole reason for spending money. But to executives, the product is merely a means to an end, and the end is only about making more money.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
        Interestingly, stock analysts continue to rate Intel as a "buy" despite disturbing patterns in their security practices.
        You mean not satisfying paranoid wackos. And the analysts don't care of paranoia, rightfully.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          You mean not satisfying paranoid wackos. And the analysts don't care of paranoia, rightfully.
          So, following your logic every serious operating system is made by paranoid wackos. Simply wonderful, genius.

Comment

So, following your logic every serious operating system is made by paranoid wackos. Simply wonderful, genius.
            It's just for PR. Or they do it for *drumroll* servers.

Show me a single normal (non-server) user hit by one of these speculative execution exploits and the extent of the damage (many disable the protections for performance btw).

I'm waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              It's just for PR. Or they do it for *drumroll* servers.

Show me a single normal (non-server) user hit by one of these speculative execution exploits and the extent of the damage (many disable the protections for performance btw).

I'm waiting.
              By that logic, guns shouldn't have safeties and cars don't need seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                By that logic, guns shouldn't have safeties and cars don't need seatbelts.
                Except I can easily show you car accidents and gun accidents do happen and thus it invalidates the entire point. Try harder.

Comment

Stop playing strawman now. It's as relevant as mentioning Russia and Iran in this thread.
                  You were saying? https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...g-eu-elections

Comment

Working...
                  X