Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional MIPS Release 6 Changes Heading Into Linux 5.1

Phoronix: Additional MIPS Release 6 Changes Heading Into Linux 5.1

The upstream Linux kernel support for the MIPS architecture continues to be improved upon, which is great news especially with this processor ISA going open-source. With the Linux 5.1 kernel are more MIPS improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would be interested in buying all-libre laptop/workstation just for the fun of it.
    Will opening MIPS make it much easier for manufacturers? I'm guessing it will come from China first, given their experience with Lemote/Yeeloong.

Comment

They should have open sourced it decades ago.
      These losers kept it proprietary all this time, then in panic of fading into irrelevance when RISC-V arrived they decided to open source it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
        I would be interested in buying all-libre laptop/workstation just for the fun of it.
        Will opening MIPS make it much easier for manufacturers? I'm guessing it will come from China first, given their experience with Lemote/Yeeloong.
        You have already some "Desktops" selling, but at big prices because they produces low quantities..
        In Russia for example, with the Baikal T1 processor, plus a Vivante graphics card..
        Tavolga terminal kraftway, etc

Another box that its also of my interest, is the PC-101
        With a elbrus1S+ core-10W of power, lots of periferics..

Its very difficult to get this peaces of Engineering,
        Has I don't speak Russian, and they are a very proud nation, so articles are always in Russian..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          You have already some "Desktops" selling, but at big prices because they produces low quantities..
          In Russia for example, with the Baikal T1 processor, plus a Vivante graphics card..
          Tavolga terminal kraftway, etc

Another box that its also of my interest, is the PC-101
          With a elbrus1S+ core-10W of power, lots of periferics..

Its very difficult to get this peaces of Engineering,
          Last time I checked prices were pretty steep for Baikal/Elbrus/etc CPUs and OS situation was unclear (whether firmware blobs are required). Will check everything you listed, thanks man.
          Has I don't speak Russian,
          No problem, I do.
          and they are a very proud nation, so articles are always in Russian..
          Nah, we're not so proud

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
            Last time I checked prices were pretty steep for Baikal/Elbrus/etc CPUs and OS situation was unclear (whether firmware blobs are required). Will check everything you listed, thanks man.

No problem, I do.

Nah, we're not so proud
            Yes the prices...
            They depend on manufacture scale unfortunately..
            I would love to have one PC 101 minibox, since they have lots of peripherics, and ofcourse a elbrus-1S+ CPU( Its a improoved core from the elbrus 4s or Elbrus 8S not sure what version.. ), has the cherry on top of the Cake, and Linux OS, and 10W of power..very nice!!

I think that version executes 25 instructions per clock cycle, I know that some versions execute 23, but I think that executes 25..
            Its a very nice minibox, but for sure the price will get us away, unfortunately..

I also have an eye on the BaikalT1, which seems to be there versions with a Vivante Graphics, and others with a SiliconMotion SM750 2d graphics..
            But I haven't found yet a product like the elbrus PC101, and I don't even know where to buy one..

Comment

Yes the prices...
              They depend on manufacture scale unfortunately..
              I would love to have one PC 101 minibox, since they have lots of peripherics, and ofcourse a elbrus-1S+ CPU( Its a improoved core from the elbrus 4s or Elbrus 8S not sure what version.. ), has the cherry on top of the Cake, and Linux OS, and 10W of power..very nice!!
              I also have an eye on the BaikalT1, which seems to be there versions with a Vivante Graphics, and others with a SiliconMotion SM750 2d graphics..
              But I haven't found yet a product like the elbrus PC101, and I don't even know where to buy one..
              OK so here's what I dug up so far: judging from Russian tech news articles, Elbrus seems to be aimed at security-paranoid consumers who need homegrown HW. Reported orders so far are from government agencies. The manufacturer (MCST) is notoriously tight lipped about who it sells to (and also about everything else).
              The CPU itself is too exotic for home/hobby use I think - VLIW "Elbrus_2000" architecture https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbrus_2000. Needs special compiler etc etc etc.

Baikal is more interesting in that regard. There are 2 variants: Baikal-T1 (MIPS rel 5 architecture - available in retail) and Baikal-M (ARMv8, not yet available). Specs look good enough for light computing https://www.baikalelectronics.com/products/T1/
              CPU itself is not too costly - 66$, "evaluation board" has PCIe, USB and so on wired out, but costs 613$, damn... https://static.chipdip.ru/lib/085/DOC003085816.jpg

Also there is a "CPU module" with Baikal-T1 from a company that makes supercomputers (no price specified on their website): https://t-platforms.ru/production/pl...y-modul-msbt2/
              It has MXM-3 socket format with PCIe, USB, SATA, 3xEthernet and GPIO lanes. I wonder how hard it would be to wire all this stuff out.

Comment

Working...
              X