27 CPUs Benchmarked With AOM AV1, Intel SVT VP9/AV1/HEVC Video Encoders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27 CPUs Benchmarked With AOM AV1, Intel SVT VP9/AV1/HEVC Video Encoders

Phoronix: 27 CPUs Benchmarked With AOM AV1, Intel SVT VP9/AV1/HEVC Video Encoders

With there being a lot of interest from when Intel recently open-sourced their SVT-AV1 video encoder and more recently their VP9 video encoder also under the "Scalable Video Technologies" umbrella, here are benchmarks from 27 different systems showing off their performance. Plus for kicks there are also some other CPU-based video encode benchmarks including AOM-AV1 and others...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Speed is one thing, but how about quality?
    Does it compare to the other encoders or not at all?

Comment

SV-AV1 is "somewhere between x264 and VP9"
      at the moment libaom is significantly better

Comment

Michael Could you add x265 to this comparison. I wonder if it is also faster than x264 like the svt-hevc on ryzen2700x.
        Less important but also nice would be to include rav1e.

Comment

Does anyone know how SVT is packaged outside of ubuntu, e.g. Arch?
          I see comments about adding this as a ffmpeg-plugin on the github issue tracker, but have no idea when this will be done.
          Is this also packaged standalone somewhere in the AUR? No time to compile this.

Comment

Keep an eye on these Intel SVT encoders, I believe that this is Intel laying the groundwork for GPU powered encoders that run on the dGPU they are rumored to release sometime in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
              Does anyone know how SVT is packaged outside of ubuntu, e.g. Arch?
              I see comments about adding this as a ffmpeg-plugin on the github issue tracker, but have no idea when this will be done.
              Is this also packaged standalone somewhere in the AUR? No time to compile this.
              I don't see it in aur (yet).

Comment

Seems like 8c/16t is the sweet spot. Any more than that and you aren't guaranteed to get better performance. Meanwhile, by having fewer cores, you can just overclock higher for a healthy speed boost.

Comment

You forgot to add the dav1d AV1 encoder to the test?

Comment

Thanks for running the video encoding benchmarks, Michael! Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X