X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post
    I can't decide yet what will happen sooner, Google accepting the VAAPI patches or POWER9 gaining traction in the consumer desktop segment again.
    Probably the later

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    I can't decide yet what will happen sooner, Google accepting the VAAPI patches or POWER9 gaining traction in the consumer desktop segment again.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
    Pretty normal for the Chromium Team at Google when it comes to Linux. Look at the VAAPI patches. They are not accepting them for years not even behind a feature flag (except for ChromeOS) because whatever, f*** y** I guess. Distributions became so annoyed that they patch VAAPI in anyways.
    Thanks for censoring the word "you"; my Christian eyes can only handle so much blasphemy
    On a serious note though, their priorities are pretty annoying, though, I'm not sure how wrong they are in some of their decisions. When it comes to PPC64, I can't really blame them for being so slow to accept patches. Linux desktop users by themselves are relatively niche, and desktop PPC64 users are even harder to come by, regardless of what OS they use. Of course, Raptor is trying to change this (and to that I say, good for them) but I wouldn't be surprised if the Chromium team is busy enough as-is just making sure all of the patches coming from the Windows version don't cause regressions.

All that being said, if Chrome/Chromium spent less time implementing bloated features nobody asked for, they could spend more time with things people actually care about like optimizations, architecture-specific patches, and video acceleration.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 27 February 2019, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• -MacNuke-
    replied
    Google was sitting on these patches without any action for months
    Pretty normal for the Chromium Team at Google when it comes to Linux. Look at the VAAPI patches. They are not accepting them for years not even behind a feature flag (except for ChromeOS) because whatever, f*** y** I guess. Distributions became so annoyed that they patch VAAPI in anyways.

Leave a comment:

• Google Chrome/Chromium Begins Landing POWER PPC64LE Patches

Phoronix: Google Chrome/Chromium Begins Landing POWER PPC64LE Patches

Raptor Computing Systems spent a lot of time last year working on Chrome's PPC64LE support to enable Google's web browser to run on the latest IBM POWER processors. Google was sitting on these patches without any action for months but finally they are beginning to be accepted upstream...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X