Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one word: WOW!

and for Zhick:
    the only way developers make ports for an OS is that that OS is seriously in the market business. Linux, as of today isn't and this is a fact you must accept. What we all hope is obviously that this one day changes, but Microsoft has more power than your brain could ever imagine.

substitute the word "power" with anything else you prefer, from "corruption", "FUD", and more.

Comment

Their opengl layer is not that fast yet and it doesn't offer a lot of more opengl features like glsl and fbo. They are thinking about using wine's direct3d layer in the beginning. I would recommend Wine over VirtualBox then.

Comment

I wonder if they'll write a WDM-capable graphics driver for Windows Vista. That way we'll get Aero support. Then again, it probably wouldn't be too fast.

Comment

I can't imagine how they got 64 bit clients to work on 32 bit hosts. Can anyone explain how this is possible?

Exciting times

Comment

That only works with help of VT/Pacifica, that means not with cheap Intel CPUs like series 1/2/4. Or the Q8 series. E8 has VT.
            Last edited by Kano; 17 December 2008, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Anyone luck with actually playing a game?
              I can't seem to get "Unreal tournament GOTY" working in opengl
              Besides that, virtualbox screws up mouse positioning in game-like windows big-time

Comment

Originally posted by uwgandalf View Post
                Anyone luck with actually playing a game?
                I can't seem to get "Unreal tournament GOTY" working in opengl
                Besides that, virtualbox screws up mouse positioning in game-like windows big-time
                Not tried yet, but there indeed are problems with mouse positioning in games.

In case anyone wonders, the 3d driver reports: "Chromium, Humper, 1.5 Chromium 1.9" and supports up to GL1.5 (tested on a 4850 with Catalyst 8.12). The guest driver also includes some interesting Chromium-specific OpenGL extensions:

boundingbox
                cursorposition
                headspuname
                performanceinfo
                printstring
                readbackbarriersize
                saveframe
                serveridsharing
                servermatrix
                stateparameter
                synchronization
                tileinfo
                tilesortinfo
                windowsize

Moreover, the driver dumps a lot of debug information to the console (try running your guest application from the commandline). Some of it is quite interesting, as it reveals how the driver works and why it is windows-only for the time being (notice the state tracking):

OpenGL Debug: Resolution changed(1400,1025), forcing window Pos/Size update
                OpenGL Debug: Dispatched WindowSize (5)
                OpenGL Debug: Dispatched WindowPosition (5)

Speed is great, even with compiz, and it will only become better as the driver matures. I now hope GL2.1 support will appear soon.

Comment

You can already make X11-openGL-apps in a client work with almost all hosts. Just make it use your host's X11-server(install one if needed)

Comment

People, don't get too happy about it. This is too slow to run anything recent. If you're hoping to play UT3 that way, forget it. Old stuff (Warcraft 3, Counter-Strike/Half-Life) is fast enough. New stuff won't be playable unless a wonder happens.

Comment

As the manual said, this feature is considered experimental in this release. As you can see, it runs in some kind of debugging mode, which seems to cost quite a bit of performance.

It's not usable for high-end gaming at this time, but that might change in the future. Time will tell, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X